Tin according Fauna Marin

Marc Pardon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on the claims of Fauna Marin according Tin in Reeftanks?

https://www.faunamarin.de/en/knowledge-base/tin/

statement:
Tin occurs in seawater up to 3 µg/l (0,26 US.liq.gal.) and should be kept below 10 µg/l (0,26 US.liq.gal.) due to its harmful effect on SPS. Tin concentrations above the recommended values can lead to creeping tissue detachment and death in fast-growing SPS.

Possible sources of tin include natural seawater, aquarium glass from unclean production (when setting up a new aquarium), adhesives and cements that use a tin catalyst. Frozen food and some feeds that use algae, phytoplankton or plant raw materials as well as clam meat are also possible sources. Frozen food such as artemia in particular is a strong source of tin.

The tin concentration can be reduced with Ultraphos 0.04.

The people who have high tin values : did you ever try to use phosphate removers based on aluminum? And do you use frozen Artemia ? And what is the link between Artemia and Tin?

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For nearly 5 years I have feed exclusive frozen food - mainly artemia. My Tin concentrations according to Triton below

1612954868857.png

Two test with Oceamo last fall confirm Triton readings (n.n. or < 1µg/L) I have used GFO now and then. The first zerro serie was after my first attempt to run without WC (2017-1-24) The two following peaks was after WC (peak 2018 -3 21 and 2018 - 08-29). In my case - IMO - it is rather clear that my peaks have been after WC and probably caused by the salt - not the food

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
M

Marc Pardon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx Lasse for your input. There are in the case of tin a lot of claims but I still miss the evidence ..... the only evidence I read is here on these forum about some tubes used ....

OP
OP
M

Marc Pardon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they are missing a few things. I have sent an email to Fauna Marin in Germany and they have responded with the answer that they did investigate this otherwise they wouldn't make this claim. They also make the claim that fast growing SPS will die above a level of 10 ppb. Is this possible to claim even if you don't know the biological form of tin present in a reef tank?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they are missing a few things. I have sent an email to Fauna Marin in Germany and they have responded with the answer that they did investigate this otherwise they wouldn't make this claim. They also make the claim that fast growing SPS will die above a level of 10 ppb. Is this possible to claim this even if you don't know the biological form of tin present in a reef tank?

No, and it does not jive with the experiences of many, many reefers who have 10-50 ug/L tin and do not see an apparent problem.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ICP shows 15 ug/L tin but I can’t say anything seems to be bothered by it. I tossed a polyfilter in to see if maybe it will extract some of it but probably won’t.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for clarification - I do not claim that frozen food not contain tin - it could - but in my case - the consumption of tin is higher than the input - therefore zero in left over. The frozen food do not in my case increase the left over (concentration in the water column) of tin.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
M

Marc Pardon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I got no response anymore from Fauna Marin via e-mail. They answered my questions about tin that they investigated this subject. The conclusions are in the claims. After asking for publicing the details so we alle could learn/benefit from this .....it became very quit .....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back