Tinkering with my tank

How should I tinker with my tank?

• Total voters

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS tank has been chugging along quite well and it's been in just "maintain" mode for quite some time. While I enjoy just soaking up the fact that things are just coasting, I do have an itch to tinker with it...

I'm stuck between a few option and wanted to see what others think.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS tank has been chugging along quite well and it's been in just "maintain" mode for quite some time. While I enjoy just soaking up the fact that things are just coasting, I do have an itch to tinker with it...

I'm stuck between a few option and wanted to see what others think.
What exactly do you want to achieve? If everything is chugging along perfectly leave it alone. You’ll do more harm then good and upset the system if you tinker with it even just a little bit.

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly do you want to achieve? If everything is chugging along perfectly leave it alone. You’ll do more harm then good and upset the system if you tinker with it even just a little bit.
There's really no specific need I suppose. There are super minor things like wanting the water to be less turbid (I don't run any mechanical filtration other than a skimmer),

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's really no specific need I suppose. There are super minor things like wanting the water to be less turbid (I don't run any mechanical filtration other than a skimmer),
Let me say this this is something I picked up from one of the latest BRS live streams. “Do you want to change something? Do the corals want you to change something? If you were to ask your corals if they want you to meddle with their home, what would they say?”

I hope this helps. Just try to keep your hands outside of the tank as much as possible.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were to tinker with it, what would you do specifically?

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were to tinker with it, what would you do specifically?
Probably one of the options in the poll. I feel like messing with the lights would affect growth so didn't want to mess with it.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, like mentioned before, changing anything has the chance to cause an upset in your tank. Of course, if your tank is not engaging it can become more of a chore than an enjoyment. I would say, out of the options you listed, I would choose the sump option. Sumps can give you lots of things to mess with and, imo, has the smallest chance to upset everything. Just my opinion of course :)

OP
OP
Variant

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess an option I left out was to set up a new tank and put myself through the miseries of taking a new set up to a mature tank, hahaha... I may just be a sucker for misery...

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess an option I left out was to set up a new tank and put myself through the miseries of taking a new set up to a mature tank, hahaha... I may just be a sucker for misery...
Well…..it does give you the chance to upgrade.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back