Tiny brown .. bugs? Clinging to the front glass

sdrloveshim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210812_180414616.jpg

(Ignore the gnat that got caught on my sponge while taking a pic )

Better pic and video here

I picked up two coral two days ago and one new fish. I'm not sure if that's related to this or not but as I was installing a refugium of and cleaning up the tank today I noticed these teensy tiny brown colored bug looking things floating all around the front glass. I had been scrubbing the glass with my little magnet scrubber when I noticed. There's a video on the imager link of the bugs. You can see they move fairly quickly. Looking around online trying to ID them they look most to me like red bugs or one picture specifically I can find of algae eating flatworms where it's go to more translucent outer body and a brown spot in the middle near what I'm gunna call the face. But moving so quickly along the glass I'm not sure that their worms? I just feel like flatworms would move slower. But they're not quite as red in color as the red bugs. And maybe smaller too? I'm not sure.

I was wondering if there's some kind of copepod or anthropologist or other beneficial microorganism. I don't know if I should be concerned mostly. It seemed like there was a lot on the front glass but that's probably because I was disturbing the sand and scratching it all the coraline algae on the front.

Any help with an ID?

OP
OP
sdrloveshim

sdrloveshim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also maybe be ostracods? They look like what on the glass with light going through them but they're so small I'm not sure they're like, spherical enough. They seem maybe more flat in shape.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you possibly get a close up picture of one of then.

Most likely they're nothing to be concerned about but a positive lD would be required to confirm that. Most of the time when something gets described as a "bug" in a reef tank it's some kind of harmless/beneficial pod.
IME you are correct flatworms will not move quickly. When I first saw flatworms I honestly though it was specs of algea until I looked closer.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get close do they kinda look like this?
1630370432835.jpeg

OP
OP
sdrloveshim

sdrloveshim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar but not quite. They have a oval area in the middle that is more opaque than the rest of them. And I can't discern either end have that spit or spiked look to it. They seem oval and flatish maybe? So small it's hard to tell.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost looks like a flatworm. Try taking a turkey baster and sucking one or a few out and see if you can get them into a solo cup or something similar where your camera can get a better focus on the critter. A contrasting background to the bug would be ideal.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently had those on the glass after adding a coral. Are they harmful?

They're eating algae so they're currently on my xmas card list.
Some are harmful to coral. I’m not sure which ones are though. Here’s a good read to check if yours are good or bad. They sound good though, if they’re eating algae.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they showed up right after adding corals, and based off the pics, they look like planaria to me (flatworms). They’re not harmful in small numbers but they can reach plague proportions and smother corals. There are chemical solutions, but that can be dangerous, you can get a wrasse or there’s a nudibranch that will eat them. I could be wrong and they could be some type of pod, but the color, shape, and timing of their appearance makes me thing flatworms.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back