Tiny conchs? Pests?

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've had a sudden explosion of these little guys (snails of some kind) in my frag/grow out tank. They have a similar shape to a conch shell, but the biggest I've seen as been maybe a centimeter in length, max.

I can't find anything on the web about them either?! They seem to reproduce fairly rapidly, and I havent witnessed them do any kind of damage to my corals, thus far— but... are they good? Bad? Just annoying? Should I pluck them out? Leave them in? Someone help!

1626556833431.jpg

OP
OP
Salty Sea Flowers

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I believe these are dove snails. Basically nano conchs. Strombus maculatus.

I figured the same thing, I just wasnt 100% sure because all the pictures I've seen of them online are very different colors/patterns than the ones in my tank.

They multiply almost as fast as freshwater Ramshorn snails! I started with a single one that came in as a hitch hiker on an Acan frag!

OP
OP
Salty Sea Flowers

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Another species to look up to compare with is the Columbellid
Yessss, yes, yes... I came across that name as well during my research! I pretty much just needed confirmation on my suspicion that they're a valued part of my CUC, and not something that could cause havoc and damage to anything! Thank you tons! ♡

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's no problem. I am glad to see these surface. Most have actually forgotten about them. Not often do they pop up.
I had to correct my post up there. I wish they were more widely available.

OP
OP
Salty Sea Flowers

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There's no problem. I am glad to see these surface. Most have actually forgotten about them. Not often do they pop up.
I had to correct my post up there. I wish they were more widely available.
Ohhhh... okay, seriously?! I almost expected them to be a normal thing, honestly. Or I guess... more regular or common. That's pretty awesome to know! Well... my tank has been producing hoards of them, I'm tempted to just give them away at this point! LOL! Thank you! ♡

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh... okay, seriously?! I almost expected them to be a normal thing, honestly. Or I guess... more regular or common. That's pretty awesome to know! Well... my tank has been producing hoards of them, I'm tempted to just give them away at this point! LOL! Thank you! ♡
These are cool looking.
Out of curiosity, do these eat detritus/etc from the sand bed like a larger conch,,, or hang out on glass,,, or ???

Back