OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also doing more research- Ive recently lost 2 plating monitporas that ive had for years. (Parameters stable, all other coral okay etc). I checked them for nudibranch, dipped/treated them etc but couldnt figure it out. This lines up with when I first started noticing the snail tubes but thought it was like little spaghetti worms starting. Could the snails be related to why I lost my montis?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, my monti just overgrows them and prevents attachment on the actual polyp layout. The monti above receded first due to X reason tbd

not at any time have verms harmed my coral, they just poke out.

see how living portion of coral drives attachment to the non living areas, it’s right here in pics from a little frag of monti that will soon be a dinner plate

509A7BCE-A11D-4409-AE6F-0A535FB6B06F.jpeg
FD00BA22-D3FA-4429-960B-2FBDC4501D3D.jpeg

healthy corals will reject any form of implanting. Algae, snails, excluded.

Last edited:

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 30 fish- 2 are anthias and which require frequent small feedings- and 20-30 coral. I never feed the coral- I assume the broadcast feeding does it. Im sure I can cut back some and switch to non-broadcast feeding and just keep an eye on the corals and get some more encrusting varieties (yay!) lol. Might get some bumble bee snails just for the heck of it anyway.
Thanks guys!!!
Before you introduce the snails, take some vermetids out and put them with the bumblebee’s, it’s worth a shot.

Also doing more research- Ive recently lost 2 plating monitporas that ive had for years. (Parameters stable, all other coral okay etc). I checked them for nudibranch, dipped/treated them etc but couldnt figure it out. This lines up with when I first started noticing the snail tubes but thought it was like little spaghetti worms starting. Could the snails be related to why I lost my montis?
It’s possible, I’ve heard different kinds of Vermetid’s can mess with coral. I will say yours doesn’t look like mine. Mine are the very little brown ones. The largest one I have is maybe a quarter inch.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, my monti just overgrows them and prevents attachment on the actual polyp layout. The monti above receded first due to X reason tbd

not at any time have verms harmed my coral, they just poke out.

see how living portion of coral drives attachment to the non living areas, it’s right here in pics from a little frag of monti that will soon be a dinner plate

509A7BCE-A11D-4409-AE6F-0A535FB6B06F.jpeg
FD00BA22-D3FA-4429-960B-2FBDC4501D3D.jpeg

healthy corals will reject any form of implanting. Algae, snails, excluded.
Those Vermetid’s look dead ;)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When removed from water, no vermetids are hanging out.

i thought these were fixed tubes, they’re motile it’s amazing they can bend and twist lemme try for video it’s hard to get while dosing 35% and not burning my hands or coral flesh, I’m out of 3%

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok they’re dead they didn’t move with the burner on them lol now my thumb is tingling

dead verms is nice

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vermilled snails

"The males, however, produce packets of sperm called "spermatophores" which are transferred to the female's mucous nets by a pedal tentacle, expelling the spermatophore into the water and "hoping" she will catch it. This is not a forlorn hope; the animals’ gregarious nature often means that someone of the opposite gender is nearby. The females collect the spermatophores and store the sperm to fertilize their eggs. Embryos develop inside the female’s tube and are maintained there until they have passed through the larval stages and have metamorphosed into little juvenile snails. They then leave the female and crawl around briefly, usually for an hour or less, before they cement themselves to a substrate (Strathmann, 1987)."

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back