Tiny white creatures in water column

Sonatine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed this morning that my water is full of tiny white(ish?) flecks that are alive. They're too small for me to make out a shape or even take a picture/video; all that will be visible is some moving white dots. I think they've been here for days now but I just thought maybe the tank was somehow still dusty. They move pretty fast though. As far as I can tell, they're limited to the water column, I can't see anything new on the glass or rocks/sand. They are capable of swimming freely (otherwise I would have continued to believe I have a perplexing amount of dust in my water); it's sort of a jerky or scooting motion.

Nothing seems amiss with water parameters. The tank is pretty new, only 3-4 weeks or so. Inhabitants are just some clowns and snails (the snails are the most recent addition, added just over a week ago), so I'm not sure what they came in on. Any ideas, and do I need to try and do something about them?

OP
OP
Sonatine

Sonatine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at a few pictures and I think they do look like copepods, though they're so small I can't tell for sure. I hope that's what they are!

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits breed and it fills the tank with tiny white babies that move around in a jerky motion until the fish eat them all.

It usually causes a feeding frenzy though.

Back