Tiny White Worm with Bristles?

jellifishi

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2024
Messages
53
Reaction score
17
Location
Louisville
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please see the images I attached. I was looking at my copepods among the sand and saw these super tiny white worms that are sticking to the glass. I couldn't find a match online. I put one under a microscope and this is what I saw, initially I thought bristle but it didn't match.

What are they? Good or bad?

IMG_2339.jpeg IMG_2337.jpeg
 
Please see the images I attached. I was looking at my copepods among the sand and saw these super tiny white worms that are sticking to the glass. I couldn't find a match online. I put one under a microscope and this is what I saw, initially I thought bristle but it didn't match.

What are they? Good or bad?

IMG_2339.jpeg IMG_2337.jpeg
Those are definitely technically bristleworms, as the term bristleworm technically applies to any worm from the taxonomic class Polychaeta (segmented worms with multiple bristles) - in the case, I'm not sure what specific kind of bristleworm this would be though.

The shape resembles a Dinophilid worm, but the starkly visible parapodia (the "feet" where the bristles leave the worm) eliminate that option. At the moment, I'm inclined to think this critter is in it's larval stage, and that it's body will change (hopefully to something more recognizable) as it grows.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new