Tiny worm-like hairy critters attached to frag.

iamgreg123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these tiny hairy critters on the side of a montipora frag? There is a cluster of about 6 of them. They seem to be filter feeding. They do not have any shell or tube that I can see.
Tank is about 4 months old. I've had the frag in there for 1 month and just noticed these yesterday.

Critter ID 1.jpg

Critter ID 2.jpg

(The chunk above them came with the frag and I believe it's dead skeleton or glue.)

Hydroids?

Thanks for any help!

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can pop that coral off of that frag plug without hurting it would be best and reglue to new plug. make sure you do that in a separate container

OP
OP
iamgreg123

iamgreg123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, everyone! I heeded your warnings, removed it from the tank and cut/scraped off the affected area (including that old dead skeleton) with some small bone cutters. I might have gotten all of the hydroids! Time will tell. And the frag looks nicer now.
Critter ID 3.jpg

BUT.... If you have a keen eye, you noticed that unfortunately another pest revealed itself and is visible in that photo... See more here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/monti-boring-spionid-worms-living-inside-coral.1030314/

Last edited:

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got then all over my system (the colonial branching ones) haven't caused me any problems :)

Though it is probably best to remove them
a Matted filefish will make short work of them hydroids, just research this filefish and see if it will affect/pick on any other corals you may have in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No need to buy a fish to rid of them. Take frag out and place in a container of tank water and scrape off with edge of paring knife or Brush off with firm toothbrush. Remove at base or they will re-emerge

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to buy a fish to rid of them. Take frag out and place in a container of tank water and scrape off with edge of paring knife or Brush off with firm toothbrush. Remove at base or they will re-emerge
what if you have hydriods and cant take the rock or coral out of the tank ?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a Matted filefish will make short work of them hydroids, just research this filefish and see if it will affect/pick on any other corals you may have in the tank.
They wouldn't do much good in my LPS dominant system, they don't grow near the corals, just on the underside of my WaveMaker and under shaded rocks. Also have a few digitate Hydroids growing on the tissue of my pectinia, which I actually found can be beneficial to the coral and aren't irritating it. Though I'd remove any colonial hydroids if you have the chance

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
what if you have hydriods and cant take the rock or coral out of the tank ?
Cut at the base with paring knife and net them up as you cut and discard

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have more of the aiptasia looking ones, digitate hydroids and the VERY small, spindly branching ones. Not causing any problems for me as they don't spread that much
When they do as they multiply, you know now what steps to take. As long as they get food, which they do, they will increase in numbers

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they do as they multiply, you know now what steps to take. As long as they get food, which they do, they will increase in numbers
Don't they also self-regulate at some point? I know the digitate hydroids are harmless at least in my case, the branching ones I think are solitary and the aiptasia lookalikes.... Anyway how would I remove the mimic aiptasia ones? Those are the only ones concerning me

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back