Tips for a noob.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago I set up my first large marine tank after many years of keeping a small freshwater tank, so all of this is pretty new to me. I spent some time getting acquainted with the system and have learned a lot here. After getting familiar with the cycle and water testing I decided it was time to add some fish. So far I've added: Red Coris Wrasse, Majestic Angel (blue girdled), Green Mandarin, Spotted puffer, Black Fin Goby, and Wolf Eel. Everything seems to be good so far. The guy at the LFS did caution me against the Goby with the Wolf Eel, but given his large size, we decided he could hold his own. The Goby and the Wolf did have a bit of a tussle over their preferred hidey hole, but seem to have gotten it out of their system. I have since learned that it's probably not a good idea to introduce anything that resembles the Wolf, which the Goby does.

I understand that with the Wolf, I'm not gonna have many options as far as cleaners. Anyone have any advice on this? Also as far as feeding, the LFS recommended live ghost shrimp, but I've also read that silversides is a common choice.

Any tips or advice for a newbie?

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2246.jpg
IMG_2259.jpg
IMG_2260.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salt life!! I would caution against having a mandarin in a tank that new...not enough food source to keep them going...even in my 120 established tank full of pods i still have to target feed him...i dont know much on the eel to help...

OP
OP
SeaJay

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salt life!! I would caution against having a mandarin in a tank that new...not enough food source to keep them going...even in my 120 established tank full of pods i still have to target feed him...i dont know much on the eel to help...
Yeah. I must admit I didn’t do my research on that one and relied on the information I was getting from the lfs, which seemed pretty good up until I learned about this guy. I’ll do whatever I have to do to keep him healthy. Considering a second tank to house and raise live food.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 37 63.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back