Tips for catching a quick fish in a big tank

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I don't have good eyes nor quick hands but I'd like to catch a quick yellow tang in a 180 gal. I can probably succeed by removing all rocks and drain 80% of the water. But it'll likely cause a lot of stress for other fish, which I really don't want. Isn't there an easier way?

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I don't have good eyes nor quick hands but I'd like to catch a quick yellow tang in a 180 gal. I can probably succeed by removing all rocks and drain 80% of the water. But it'll likely cause a lot of stress for other fish, which I really don't want. Isn't there an easier way?

Fishfishfishfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you check youtube, you'll find people using fish traps of various types with success. I have personally tried every method out there to catch a pain in the neck fish and just ended up having to drain the tank and remove all rock. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly expensive for a plastic box. $65?

Works fantastic. Unfortunately that's the bottom line.

Tossed the feeding tube.
Drilled a new hole further back based on someone else's success. Made a world of difference in success.

Used it 4-5 times. Love it.
Heavy glass door closes quickly.
Largest fish box I could find when I was looking 3 years ago.

It is entirely food based. The most aggressive feeders are the easiest to catch. Just feed through the new back hole for 3 days, leaving the trap set, and it works like a charm on the 4th day.

I always caught 3 or 4 fish and removed the entire Box to a 5 gallon bucket and returned the fish I wasn't trying to catch to the tank. Trying that in the tank always ended up losing the fish I wanted to get rid of.

A very wary dottyback was the only fish I was never successful in catching.
03b6af91138f06eb5561d7d0dacf2ab0.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup acclimation box, or quick flash of light in the middle of the night if you know where it sleeps and a quick netting.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the fish, you may have to try various methods. The fish trap will often work for aggressive eaters like tangs. I generally leave it in the tank for a few days to let the fish get used to it. In other cases night time ambush works. I’ve even had to resort to a hook on a couple of occasions. Funniest was my attempt to remove a naoko wrasse. I just left the top of the tank and the colossal moron jumped out. Scooped it off the rug, no worse for wear.

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! Catching it at night is almost impossible since he sleeps next to a rock and I don't have good eyes esp. when it's dim. Fish trap is something new for my and I definitely will consider it.

What do you guys use to put food( incl small pellets) through the hole? A coral feeding baster? I saw a 24 in. Skimz baster but not sure if I can use it to feed small soaked pellets. By the way I like norfolk's idea of a new hole further back.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish it was mine.
[emoji6]

It was the suggestion of the guy who recommended this model to me. Wish I could remember who. That has been a game changer with this trap.

Lol, my tank is so full of rock the trap only reaches a few inches under water before it bumps into the rocks.
I just stick the frozen cube inside with my finger and let it float inside under the top.
The fish are normally fed a still frozen cube from my fingertips so this was still pretty normal for them.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use nori for bait for tangs, this eliminates most other fish for me, and I use a couple magnets to secure it deep in trap so they go all the way in.
I let them get used to it for a bit before trying to close door as they can be pretty fast and skittish first going in, but once they get into eating strong it's usually pretty easy.
I've actually made my own traps using a 1g water jug, I just razor cut 3 sides of a square jug like the crystal geyser come in, leave one side as a hinge, 2 holes and fishing line.
I have a pic somewhere.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not pretty but it works and is cheap.
Notice the nori magnet clipped at bottom.
This makes them have to go deep inside and they can't just run w/ it, and it keeps their focus on trying to work on that, and I give them time to get used to it before pulling line for trap door.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! Catching it at night is almost impossible since he sleeps next to a rock and I don't have good eyes esp. when it's dim. Fish trap is something new for my and I definitely will consider it.

What do you guys use to put food( incl small pellets) through the hole? A coral feeding baster? I saw a 24 in. Skimz baster but not sure if I can use it to feed small soaked pellets. By the way I like norfolk's idea of a new hole further back.

Its actually very easy. After the tank has been dark for a few hours, you suddenly turn on all the lights...the fish will be stunned for a minute or 2 making it very easy to scoop it up. I've tried everything and this method has never failed me. Its also the easiest.

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its actually very easy. After the tank has been dark for a few hours, you suddenly turn on all the lights...the fish will be stunned for a minute or 2 making it very easy to scoop it up. I've tried everything and this method has never failed me. Its also the easiest.

I "may" try it but first I have rocks that the net would easily tangle with. My AQ light fixture is also attached to the hood lid so if I open it to catch fish light won't shine into the tank. I also worry that I'll scared the hell out of other fish and they can injure themselves...............
Not pretty but it works and is cheap.
Notice the nori magnet clipped at bottom.
This makes them have to go deep inside and they can't just run w/ it, and it keeps their focus on trying to work on that, and I give them time to get used to it before pulling line for trap door.

Pretty smart! may save me $75, haha!

Mrs. Herbert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to try some of these methods as I have a firefish I want to catch and give away. He is being a bully now to the other firefish. They have been together for almost a year.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish trap is your best shot. Least amount of stress on both of You.

Agreed. I used this trap and method to catch my Yellow Tang:

This method will take some patience (several days) but it is very effective:

1) Hook the trap to the top of the tank and leave the door off of it for a few days

2) Get a suction cup seaweed clip and suction it to the inside bottom of the trap near the edge of the opening to attract the fish, make sure that is the ONLY method of feeding available to them

3) With each day move the clip further into the trap along the bottom of the inside of the trap to encourage the fish to go further in

4) Once the desired fish appears to be comfortable going in add the door at the very top at an angle to keep it up

5) wait for the desired fish to swim in and then simply tap the door and it will fall shut trapping the fish

The alternative is to stand there next to the tank with fishing line to pull a pin and spring the trap, which is an impractical pain in the butt as it might take several days for a fish to get comfortable with the idea of feeding in and around the trap.

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works fantastic. Unfortunately that's the bottom line.

It does work well. Takes a few days for the fish to get used to it being around. My only complaint is that the trap itself is relatively heavy and the suction cups on the weak side, so it tends to slide down the wall sometimes.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does work well. Takes a few days for the fish to get used to it being around. My only complaint is that the trap itself is relatively heavy and the suction cups on the weak side, so it tends to slide down the wall sometimes.

That's why I like the seaside aquatics trap that I have as it has an adjustable tank side mount with plastic screws to hold it in place.

CraigMixedReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seaweed on a clip near the surface.
Large net, scoop in fast, young grasshopper.
Give them no credit or respect.
You’re at the top of the food chain and will prevail!
Fish brains are tiny - refuse to lose!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 104 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back