13   0   0
trap3.jpg

Traps always work for me

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tangs are always very sleepy still in the morning when the lights come on , Mine even bump into rocks ect as they start to move around, so if you have everything ready the night before , that is the best time to catch them while they are still half asleep

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Might have been $70?

It was over a year ago.

Pretty sure it was from BRS but they want $80 now?

I'm sure I said it wasn't more than $60 when it arrived at the house.

The only reason I asked is because I am looking for one.
I had one, but loaned it out and forgot who it was.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly expensive for a plastic box. $65?

Works fantastic. Unfortunately that's the bottom line.

Tossed the feeding tube.
Drilled a new hole further back based on someone else's success. Made a world of difference in success.

Used it 4-5 times. Love it.
Heavy glass door closes quickly.
Largest fish box I could find when I was looking 3 years ago.

It is entirely food based. The most aggressive feeders are the easiest to catch. Just feed through the new back hole for 3 days, leaving the trap set, and it works like a charm on the 4th day.

I always caught 3 or 4 fish and removed the entire Box to a 5 gallon bucket and returned the fish I wasn't trying to catch to the tank. Trying that in the tank always ended up losing the fish I wanted to get rid of.

A very wary dottyback was the only fish I was never successful in catching.
03b6af91138f06eb5561d7d0dacf2ab0.jpg
I am sorry for the nerco but I really want to buy this exact fish trap (Aqua Medic Fish Trap) but it's no longer made and OOS everywhere I looked. Anyone know where I can get one or would be willing to just lend theirs to me lol for like a month or something while I catch a sailfin tang which had gotten too big and aggro for my tank.. Thanks everyone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Dorinda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine in for a day and just let it sit in there. My yellow Tang loved going in and out. But I was trying to catch a pale green virus wrasse. So the next day I took my veggie clip and put a piece of shrimp in it and stuck it to the back of the trap. I had the Yellow Tang and the green virus wrasse in 5 minutes or less.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I have a 4 to 5 inch acrylic top around the top edge so traps which suction to the side and require direct top access are not the best for me... I am looking at some magnetic float up types but not sure if they are fast enough...

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TankMatez Innovative
Yeah been eyeballing that one... not sure it will ascend quickly enough but it does look like a contender. I can tie some fishing line to the external mag for stealth.. If the fish tries to swim down then it's a home run.. if I miss on the first shot it will never go in there again lol.

edit: I am thinking this is probably my best choice... and it's half off too. Thanks!

Last edited:

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revenant Did you end up getting a trap from TankMatez? I'm looking at getting one to remove some trouble chromis and curious how your hunt went.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revenant Did you end up getting a trap from TankMatez? I'm looking at getting one to remove some trouble chromis and curious how your hunt went.
I didn’t yet… my sailfin will need to go though at some point so it’s on my list.. I’ve been dealing with a nasty cyano outbreak and just got it under control so the fish catch took a back seat. If you end up getting that trap let me know how it goes please.. and I the same will let you know. Right now I am just enjoying my tank again for the first time in months lol. Sigh. This hobby whew.

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you, as I deal with the various plagues visited upon my tank I can go through entire months of the year just HATING it, loathing to even look at it. But then once the tank is back in balance, there really is nothing more beautiful. I haven't been able to put my finger on it, but reefers have some kinda screw lose to keep pouring our money, time and lives into these boxes of water. Most sane people would just walk away. o_O :p

I did end up pulling the trigger on the trap. I'm not currently in US so shipping may take a bit of time. However once I get it I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have used the Seaside trap with great success. As others have said also doubles as an acclimation box. Sometimes i add it and feed fish in it so that they are used to it just in case
have a Vlamingi That is going to have to come out one of these days soon, she barely fits in it but she will go in it on a regular basis to eat Nori or anything else I put in there
Seems to me that I found my on Amazon
I would not remove rock and chase fish ever again. Had to clean up the tank to treat for velvet (which ended up being a reasonable success) and had to dig the sand to pull out some wrasses. Lost half of the montis and SPS in the ensuing 10 days of tank upheaval
Good investment for the dollar in my opinion

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's my last option, I know if I pulled all the rock out of my 4x2x2 I can use big plexi sheets and just block down the tank until they're cornered but it seems like SOO much effort to get out 2 chromis. And like you I now have coral all over everything so pulling out the rocks could shock them, or just throw off the tank balance.

I had been success with an Aqua Medic slide door trap in the past to get my Foxface a few times. But I swear, fish are not dumb, I left that trap in there for a week and those chromis knew what it was, wouldn't go near it.

As you can tell.. it's getting personal with these fish now. LOL! ;Punch

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you, as I deal with the various plagues visited upon my tank I can go through entire months of the year just HATING it, loathing to even look at it. But then once the tank is back in balance, there really is nothing more beautiful. I haven't been able to put my finger on it, but reefers have some kinda screw lose to keep pouring our money, time and lives into these boxes of water. Most sane people would just walk away. o_O :p

I did end up pulling the trigger on the trap. I'm not currently in US so shipping may take a bit of time. However once I get it I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!
lol.. we got passion fo sho:)

nice on the trap.. let me know how that goes for sure.. my sailfin is getting large now.. thinking about just upgrading my tank lol.. there’s the crazy talking again.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's my last option, I know if I pulled all the rock out of my 4x2x2 I can use big plexi sheets and just block down the tank until they're cornered but it seems like SOO much effort to get out 2 chromis. And like you I now have coral all over everything so pulling out the rocks could shock them, or just throw off the tank balance.

I had been success with an Aqua Medic slide door trap in the past to get my Foxface a few times. But I swear, fish are not dumb, I left that trap in there for a week and those chromis knew what it was, wouldn't go near it.

As you can tell.. it's getting personal with these fish now. LOL! ;Punch
lol. Too funny.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll Be a sad sad day when I finally pull the trigger on the trap on the vlamingi. That’s the best dog I have had except for the dogs that I have.
By the way auto correct for a vlamingi comes out flamingo every time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back