Tips for Coral Quarantine?

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I quarantine everything after a major tank restart last year, so I’ve quarantined 2 batches of corals with mostly success.

Wondering what everyone’s quarantine setups/procedures/tips are for coral QT?

I’m noting some algae in my sps qt, I used water from my display to match the parameters and I just do water changes with my display water and manually dose as needed. Would I benefit from keeping some inverts like snails in there at all times to help control the algae that pops up?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I quarantine everything after a major tank restart last year, so I’ve quarantined 2 batches of corals with mostly success.

Wondering what everyone’s quarantine setups/procedures/tips are for coral QT?

I’m noting some algae in my sps qt, I used water from my display to match the parameters and I just do water changes with my display water and manually dose as needed. Would I benefit from keeping some inverts like snails in there at all times to help control the algae that pops up?
absolutely you would. algae only serves to irritate coral when its upkept. the extra nutrients may or may not be of service as well.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspect with magnifying glass and scrape off anything unusual. Bayer dip, Seachem Reef Dip, Peroxide dip for zoas and actual plug, sometimes change out plug. Rinse.

Into quarantine tank, repeat dips in 7 days, repeat dips in another 7. Ready for DT.

If I'm paranoid, or the coral is coming from an unknown tank with fish, I might run UV on the QT fo a couple of weeks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back