Tips for Gluing Coral to Rock

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions on how to more cleanly glue my corals to the rock. I've tried both using just (gel/thick) super glue, and I've also tried the super glue + epoxy method. The only real preference I have is to not have to use epoxy, because if something happens to the coral (it needs to be removed or just moved), the epoxy is left behind, and it ruins the natural look of the rock. The real issue I have is that after I apply the super glue to the base of the coral, and I move the coral into the water and to where it needs to go, the super glue begins to get stringy as I press the coral to the rock, leaving these ugly white strands extending from the base. Any tips and suggestions are welcome (and pictures/videos are loved)!

EDIT - The bold and italicized portion in red is what I'm seeking help with, just to be clear.

Last edited:

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never glue corals straight to my rockwork, but instead glue it to a small rock which is than glued to the rockwork.
The larger surface area of the small rock allows better adhesion as well as easier separation when needed.

I mostly use CA, but for larger colonies I would also combine it with epoxy.

Another trick that I often use is to actually submerge a CA tube and use it underwater, this somewhat restricts stringing and allows a better control over the glue.
*Just note that this trick does not work with bottled CA, you must use tubes.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the method Jake Adams demonstrated on Reef Builders. Apply the glue, dab in water to skin up, then push and twist it into position in one direction. Hold for a few seconds, then done.
By twisting the frag in one direction, it curls those strands under the frag and holds it better.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a link or a picture of what you mean by "tubes"?
It’s the basic, most popular packaging of CA.

1689029260992.jpeg

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like putting the glue to one side of the plug and then “wiping” it to the other direction to break up the “skin” that forms and get it to stick. You’re right, you can’t just put them right into place

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I loath glueing to rocks, it sucks and something inevitably knocks it off. That being said, I just started a new method (just a few weeks ago) and that requires being fast. Now I just glob glue to the bottom of what I'm going to glue down and then hit it with a quick spray of the BSI accelerator and within 5 seconds you have to glomp it in place.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loath glueing to rocks, it sucks and something inevitably knocks it off. That being said, I just started a new method (just a few weeks ago) and that requires being fast. Now I just glob glue to the bottom of what I'm going to glue down and then hit it with a quick spray of the BSI accelerator and within 5 seconds you have to glomp it in place.
I had this problem too...used Ecotech Glue, Seachem Glue, Putty etc...those dam snails always knock something off...but recently found this at my LFS...and I literally bought all they had...it works wonders...bonds awesome, no Glue stuck to your fingers etc....and I even relocated 2 Zoa plugs to another section and had to use bone cutters to losen the plug.

I just recently ordered a 4 pack from Ebay as I am now fragging and my LFS is sold out!...even my LFS swears by it...just wish they had bigger tubes!!

ISTA Instant Glue, made in Taiwan!!

Screenshot_20230711_020112_Chrome.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back