Tips for going sumpless & skimmerless?

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,

I was looking for a collection of tips from people who have gone with this before. Here's what I'm thinking:
Lightly stocked 20g long tank. ATO system. 25% water change every week. The goal of the tank would be an o. clown and a small goby and then softy corals and LPS. Maybe a monti later down the road but not sure yet.

If anybody has suggestions or tips I would appreciate it. Please don't comment with "well why not run a sump?!?" lol

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, why not.........
20 gallon isn't that bad, just keep up your water changes in a strick schedule, when you skip bad things can happen.
Also feed light and test Po4 a lot, like twice or more a week as that will tell you if a extra water change is needed.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is done all that he time. Consider adding colorful and interesting macro algae.

Even better.
Macros are your best friend in a system like that.
Any pics you wanna share?

SalinFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 ATO and outside of how it was delivered, that is how I maintain it. Lots of live rock, no sand bed currently (but it did have one at one point), light feeding/spot feeding.

OP
OP
hockeyhead019

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 ATO and outside of how it was delivered, that is how I maintain it. Lots of live rock, no sand bed currently (but it did have one at one point), light feeding/spot feeding.

Any reason you went with no sand bed? I guess easier to vacuum the nastys out during WC?

Also, why would macro's be the best? As opposed to normal coraline and some softies? More nutrient removal with macro?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason you went with no sand bed? I guess easier to vacuum the nastys out during WC?

Also, why would macro's be the best? As opposed to normal coraline and some softies? More nutrient removal with macro?

Oh yes a lot more.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't bought the tank yet, the money you save using an intank refugium could allow you to buy a much larger tank to begin with.

my .02

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a sumpless/skimmerless anemone tank for a few years. I don't know if I'd change that much water weekly. By all means play it by ear. IME light stocking is key. I did two clowns in a 30.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite tanks I had was a biocube 14 sumpless and skimmerless. I did grow chaeto in the back compartment, worked like a charm. I eventually went all SPS after lighting upgrade and took out the sand as I couldn't clean it anymore (sps too big in that space) and boy was it nasty.

I would make 5g bucket of saltwater and put under the sink with a lid on it. Once a week I would take maybe 3/4 gallon of water out of the tank via a cut milk jug "scoop" and replace from the bucket. Took maybe 5 min at most and I only had to refill the bucket every 6 weeks or so. Easiest and cheapest WC ever!

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29 Biocube, no sump no skimmer.

Light feeding, weekly(ish) 5 gallon water changes, scrub down the powerhead(s) each water change.

I would recommend high(er) flow and a decent amount of live rock.
Stock list: 2 clowns, skunk cleaner, fire shrimp and clean up crew
corals: BTA, 2 maxi mini's, ricordeas, zoas, yellow hammer, frogspawn, purple monti, rainbow monti, acans, duncans, wilsoni

When I stick to weekly 5 gal water changes I have no issues. Had to move the tank and live away from it (coming over daily for feedings) and got a little lax on weekly water changes and had some algae growth. Did a few 8 gal water changes and I'm seeing improvement.

Tank has been up since Oct. 2015

Robinreefs94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 tanks later with no sump or skimmer works just fine. Had around 10% of the volume in live rock and always sand. Ofc not as much fishes as in a system with skimming. Did a weekly 10-15% water change most of the times on all of them. Only used phosphate remover from time to time. Had many lps:es, soft corals, and some sps:es. Today I use skimming in my new tank just for the benefits you get with it.

SalinFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I don't have sand is because when my tank sprung a leak, I immediately set up an emergency 20 gal and put everything into it. When I got the new 40, I moved all the rock and livestock, but didn't bother to move the sand moved.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dumped my sump and am running my 120g with one pump only in a closed loop. Probably add skimmer on top soon. I can use the overflow box for the heaters, as now I can keep it full. The tank is very quiet now. I just want to have a simple setup for mushroom corals, inverts and fish. I will call my new setup AAFOWLR, a.k.a. Almost A Fish Only With Live Rock Tank. LOL

OP
OP
hockeyhead019

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the positive testimonies guys! Looks like the keys are pretty much as I expected. Light live stock and feeding and regular water changes. The volume seems to be a varying amount but I can monitor parameters and make sure that they're all looking good.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add in also that I've had a 70 gallon for 7 years, with only a HOB skimmer that I would only use a couple days if I stirred my sand during a water change. Other than that the only thing on my tank is the light.

Merlin79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 15g is sumpless and skimmerless.

I run a filter with floss, carbon, phosguard

15% weekly waterchanges

2 clowns and a blenny.

It can be done but diligence on maintenance is the important factor.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back