Tips for installing bulkheads in brute trash cans

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says, im looking for tips on how to install bulkheads on brute trash cans. I just installed one and its leaking. Wanted to see if theres anything i could be doing wrong/anything I could do to get it to stop leaking.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use a hole cutter bit? Also, how did you install the bulkhead. A picture might help.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also tried it with the washer both on the inside and outside
119204dbb5c250cdeaeccb1b49c199d8.jpg

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here are pics of mine. I have two cans set up for fresh and salt mix. Depends on where it is leaking. Did you use plumbers tape? Is it tight enough? Washers on both sides? Hope this helps.

IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes bulkheads that are made for flat surfaces, like glass, acrylic, crack when you tighten them. It's hard to see the crack as it only opens when tightened on the curved surface. If not cracked you could try doubling the gasket on the inside. That's where you want the seal. Best to use Uniseals on curved surfaces.
The nut side with the threads should be on the outside of the container.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes bulkheads that are made for flat surfaces, like glass, acrylic, crack when you tighten them. It's hard to see the crack as it only opens when tightened on the curved surface. If not cracked you could try doubling the gasket on the inside. That's where you want the seal. Best to use Uniseals on curved surfaces.
The nut side with the threads should be on the outside of the container.
U think i should flip the bulkhead to have the nut side outside? I've only ever seen them installed this way

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't really matter as long as the gasket sits directly under the flange. Getting a bulkhead intended for a flat surface to seal on a curved one can be tricky. I usually install them through the flat bottom of a brute can. If you can wait for it to cure, some silicone sealant will likely do the trick.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't really matter as long as the gasket sits directly under the flange. Getting a bulkhead intended for a flat surface to seal on a curved one can be tricky. I usually install them through the flat bottom of a brute can. If you can wait for it to cure, some silicone sealant will likely do the trick.
With silicone do i just apply that to the outside around the edges of the bulkhead?
Also how tight should i be making it? Should i keep cranking on it with a wrench until it won't turn any more or should hand tight be enough

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With silicone do i just apply that to the outside around the edges of the bulkhead?
Also how tight should i be making it? Should i keep cranking on it with a wrench until it won't turn any more or should hand tight be enough

No wrench - That will crack it for sure. Those nuts are designed to seal with hand tightness only. You could try a little silicone lubricant on the washer but be very careful not to over-tighten if you try this. Make sure you know where it is leaking from. Either the rubber gasket (flange) or through the opening as this will make a big difference how to fix it.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uniseal is the way to go if you can find one sized to the hole saw you used. It’s what they are designed for rather than a flat surface like a bulkhead. Check out BRS- that’s where I got mine.

Uniseals are much better for this type of application, a bulkhead can work as shown above, but uniseals are easier.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No wrench - That will crack it for sure. Those nuts are designed to seal with hand tightness only. You could try a little silicone lubricant on the washer but be very careful not to over-tighten if you try this. Make sure you know where it is leaking from. Either the rubber gasket (flange) or through the opening as this will make a big difference how to fix it.
It's just dripping from the bottom of the bulkhead. How can i tell if its flange issue or gasket issue

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just use a uniseal but for the hole I drilled it would need a 1.5 inch pipe and my pump takes a 3/4 inch
So your plan was to use a 1.5" bulkhead then reducer?

You can modify the plan to 1.5" uniseal, an inch or 2 of 1.5" pvc then reducer then 3/4".

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why not replace with 3/4" uniseal? when I say 3/4" i mean designed for 3/4" pvc I don't know the actual sizes off hand but they make them for pretty much all standard pvc sizes.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back