Tips for moving rocks into new aquarium

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gal nano but am upgrading to a 55 gal, which arives tomorrow! I'm planning on making a brand new aquascape but wanted to keep a few rocks from the nano that have some encrusted corals.

My question is, what's the best way to break up the rocks and move them over? I've read online to use a hammer and a chisel but I'm scared this will break the glass in the tank lol. Will pliers or bolt cutters be effective in carving through rock? I feel like other people must have done this before!

Its not much rock work but I mostly want to grab a couple of the rocks with montis and zoas on them. I also have a leptastrea on the left and a couple Duncans that have grown into the rock. The others are small enough I can just pop off the glue from the frags.

20231101_205736.jpg

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gal nano but am upgrading to a 55 gal, which arives tomorrow! I'm planning on making a brand new aquascape but wanted to keep a few rocks from the nano that have some encrusted corals.

My question is, what's the best way to break up the rocks and move them over? I've read online to use a hammer and a chisel but I'm scared this will break the glass in the tank lol. Will pliers or bolt cutters be effective in carving through rock? I feel like other people must have done this before!

Its not much rock work but I mostly want to grab a couple of the rocks with montis and zoas on them. I also have a leptastrea on the left and a couple Duncans that have grown into the rock. The others are small enough I can just pop off the glue from the frags.

20231101_205736.jpg
Well, first, you don't break the rocks up while they're still in the tank!
If you can't just leave them in the nano until the larger tank is ready, then take them out and put them on a towel or cardboard and gently hammer them...

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, first, you don't break the rocks up while they're still in the tank!
If you can't just leave them in the nano until the larger tank is ready, then take them out and put them on a towel or cardboard and gently hammer them...

Chisel and hammer, but outside the tank. Put it back in water as soon as you’re done. It shouldn’t take more than a few seconds. Those rocks are easy to break.

Okay, outside the tank makes more sense lol. Thanks!

New tank will be set up and cycled with the new aquascape before I attempt this, so it should be as simple as break apart and add to the new aquascape!

Okay, novice question to give me confidence: will the corals be okay out of the water for like a few min as I do this?

Thanks so much for the feedback!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, outside the tank makes more sense lol. Thanks!

New tank will be set up and cycled with the new aquascape before I attempt this, so it should be as simple as break apart and add to the new aquascape!

Okay, novice question to give me confidence: will the corals be okay out of the water for like a few min as I do this?

Thanks so much for the feedback!
Yes. Just let any fleshy ones retract before lifting them out.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should state that I'm mostly concerned with the fleshy corals like the Duncan or the RBTA being out of the water
The RBTA is not a coral. You need to be very careful not to damage it. Personally, I'd put the whole nem rock in the new tank and worry about the "scape" later.

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RBTA is not a coral. You need to be very careful not to damage it. Personally, I'd put the whole nem rock in the new tank and worry about the "scape" later.

My goal is to break off the rock and put it directly onto the new scape (already cycled with water in it) but maybe it would be better to snag the anemone first? It's my first anemone so I don't have any experience getting the foot off; I've read that maybe blowing it with a powerhead to make it detach could work?

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should also clarify that the rocks on the left are all strongly epoxied together and my concern is having to take the whole structure out to do the hammering lol

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should also clarify that the rocks on the left are all strongly epoxied together and my concern is having to take the whole structure out to do the hammering lol
To be honest, if it were me, I'd put ALL the rock from the old system, epoxied together or not, into the new tank and THEN think about taking things off the rocks, breaking them apart, etc. If the current tank is only 20 gallons, you should be able to remove the rock pretty easily.

As for the anemone, the best way I've found to get them off a rock is to take the rock out of the tank and hold it over the water so the nem has to move off of it. It can take a while though, which is why my first suggestion was to put the entire anemone rock into the new tank... It may go ahead and move itself to a more preferable (to you) rock that way.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do decide to break apart the anemone rock, just make sure you're not chiseling anywhere close to the foot, which can be buried pretty deep. You'll want to go slowly and may need to shred the rock to get just the part with the nem. (Or, you could hit it once and have the ideal size piece break off, nem and all. I'm just trying to think of possible complications).

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, if it were me, I'd put ALL the rock from the old system, epoxied together or not, into the new tank and THEN think about taking things off the rocks, breaking them apart, etc. If the current tank is only 20 gallons, you should be able to remove the rock pretty easily.

As for the anemone, the best way I've found to get them off a rock is to take the rock out of the tank and hold it over the water so the nem has to move off of it. It can take a while though, which is why my first suggestion was to put the entire anemone rock into the new tank... It may go ahead and move itself to a more preferable (to you) rock that way.

If you do decide to break apart the anemone rock, just make sure you're not chiseling anywhere close to the foot, which can be buried pretty deep. You'll want to go slowly and may need to shred the rock to get just the part with the nem. (Or, you could hit it once and have the ideal size piece break off, nem and all. I'm just trying to think of possible complications).

Hmm, I'm less inclined to just put the entire structure in the new tank because I feel like it's delaying the inevitable breaking of the rocks and adds the complication of placement of the new rocks.

If I could *only* take out the nem rock, I'd be happy, but it's the epoxied aspect that is giving me troubles. I don't think I'm able to hold onto the entire epoxied structure, and tilt it upside down long enough for the nem to detach.

So my current plan will be to take the whole epoxied structure out of the water, then chisel the epoxy joints to break free the individual rocks, and then place them into the new tank. Is that reasonable with a nem still attached?

Thanks again for the replies! I know I'm probably over complicating something simple, but this convo has already saved me from hammering into my glass lol.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need this to get the anenome off. Works great!

Best way to get anemone off rock? | Page 2 - Reef2Reef https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/best-way-to-get-anemone-off-rock.368851/page-2

Then put the anenome on a rock you want to keep it on.

Also, keep in mind, all that rock in your old tank will instant cycle your new tank if you just move it over. If you add new rock it will colonize quickly.
Remember, all the old rock handles all your live stock already so it won't care if there's more water in a bigger tank. Just don't add a bunch of new live stock all at once.

Coral are fine out of water for a time. 15 minutes is easy for you to bust up rock and put it back in water.
If it's longer you can always hit them with a spray bottle full of tank water.

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need this to get the anenome off. Works great!

Best way to get anemone off rock? | Page 2 - Reef2Reef https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/best-way-to-get-anemone-off-rock.368851/page-2

Then put the anenome on a rock you want to keep it on.

Also, keep in mind, all that rock in your old tank will instant cycle your new tank if you just move it over. If you add new rock it will colonize quickly.
Remember, all the old rock handles all your live stock already so it won't care if there's more water in a bigger tank. Just don't add a bunch of new live stock all at once.

Coral are fine out of water for a time. 15 minutes is easy for you to bust up rock and put it back in water.
If it's longer you can always hit them with a spray bottle full of tank water.

Awesome, thanks!! That sounds like a nice method!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back