Tips for new bta

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I’ve been waiting a long time to get my bta. Finally have one coming next week. Since I’ve never had an anemone before I’m just curious if anybody has any tips for how to add it to the tank. Where to start them off. I know they’ll move but I’m sure there’s a good way to get them situated at first. Thanks in advance for any help.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can set it in a place that has similar lighting and water flow to where it's been that's best. Otherwise keep it out of any current that might make it hard to attach to the aquascaping.

ridgeburyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best place to set it is a place you know gets decent flow, not super high- if you can find a nook or cranny big enough for the foot, they tend to enjoy that, I’ve had good luck w placement. If you can make sure there are no ways off the rock work on to the glass they typically won’t travel across sand. When you go to place it, give it a little pressure to the rock, and hold it there until you can release without it moving. If you have trouble for more than 2-3 minutes getting it to hold, you may want to have an acclimation box on hand w a seasoned piece of rock in it to latch to

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi. I’ve been waiting a long time to get my bta. Finally have one coming next week. Since I’ve never had an anemone before I’m just curious if anybody has any tips for how to add it to the tank. Where to start them off. I know they’ll move but I’m sure there’s a good way to get them situated at first. Thanks in advance for any help.
JUST in case, Get some cipro, if you have it already. Congrats.
Every anemone is going to be different, so just having a lot of territory for it to roam to get comfortable will be good. I would say if you have experience owning hammer, frogspawn, torch corals. You already have the basics down. My rbta settled down across from my torch. Currently waking up.
Maybe a underside cliff for it to hang off to adjust. If it wants too.

Attachments

• neighbors.jpg
    neighbors.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update for everybody who helped. I was a klutz getting it in but managed okay. I turned off the flow but still accidentally let him go so he floated around a little before I was able to get him onto a rock. Even without flow it’s hard to gently grab a nickel sized floating blob so that he doesn’t get hurt. Where I put him Was not where I wanted to put him. I know he will move but I did have plan. But I got nervous as I also didn’t want to let him go and float around lol. So he was settled and attached to a crevice in one of the few places barely visible from the top of a side lol. But he was open and beautiful. He disappeared later that night and I found him 2 days later in the middle of that rock but still open. He moved again and I lost touch of him for over a week but now see him on top of the rock enjoying some light. So seems I did an okay job. He’s in and finding a home. He’s only half open right now but what I can see of him is inflated well. I’m confident enough what he’s doing right now is normal. I’m just happy I gave him a chance. Can’t wait til it grows a bit. Thanks again for the advice.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back