Tips for overgrowing cyphastrea

LeafsReefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 20, 2023
Messages
118
Reaction score
61
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I made a beginner mistake and put a cyphastrea too close to other coral. Its my fastest growing coral and starting to grow into some acans that I like.

Any tips on stopping it without breaking the rock apart?



20260907_214303.jpg
 
You could make a Kalk paste and nuke the edges as far back as you’d like, but that’s only a temp solution until it regrows. I do this with aggressive montis creeping on acros when I want to delay the inevitable warfare.
 
If you can remove that rocks that's what I would do, it will keep encrusting and take over the whole rock. Unless you want this to happen, remove the rock and kill it, put it in a dark sump or something.
 
I make an epoxy "blanket" and mold it over the area that I want to die back. Sometimes I remove it, sometimes I dont.
 
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. After seeing a lot about kalk paste I decided to try some Joe's Juice that I had and it seemed to do the trick. Although I guess I used too much at once because we when I did my weekly testing the next day my Alk had dropped.



20260912_215459.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new