Tips for removing internal scratches from an acrylic tank while running?

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life got really busy for an extended period of time and I neglected cleaning the viewing pane of my acrylic tank for quite awhile...and the whole thing became covered in coralline algae...then I wasn't particularly careful when removing it, and now my tank is pretty scratched up. It's not the end of the world but now that I have a bit more time I'd like to get these scratches out if I can do so safely and without draining the tank.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can remove many, but not very deep, scratches on the inside of a currently running acrylic reef tank?

OP
OP
Tft12

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
search youtube.

Thanks. I should have been more detailed in my original post about my research so far. I've searched Google and YouTube and it seems like the standard approach is to use MicroMesh sand paper.

Does anyone have experience using MicroMesh sandpaper in an active reef tank? Success, drawbacks, problems, concerns?

Does anyone have any alternative approaches that they prefer to using MicroMesh sandpaper?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had an acrylic tank for a short time but if its high enough in the tank that you can drain it using novus 1,2 and 3 will get it looking brand new. I did use some very fine sandpaper inside as well and while that would get rid of the scratch it would not come crystal clear for me. Keep in mind I have limited experience, as already mentioned there are a bunch of youtube videos. There was a really good thread on reef2reef a while back as well.

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe there is a way to buff scratches out with the water still in it. I've seen a video but cannot remember where.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I should have been more detailed in my original post about my research so far. I've searched Google and YouTube and it seems like the standard approach is to use MicroMesh sand paper.

Does anyone have experience using MicroMesh sandpaper in an active reef tank? Success, drawbacks, problems, concerns?

Does anyone have any alternative approaches that they prefer to using MicroMesh sandpaper?

you can contact the person that posted on youtube directly via youtube or I believe he is here and on RC.

nrupaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
too late but moving forward try to use these Algae Cutter Bags. its a simple plastic mesh bag. Drop your magnet into it and it cuts through algae and corraline easy. I haven't had to use a scraper/credit card to remove coralline in months. it doesn't scratch acrylic either.
http://mightymagnets.com/algaeCutterBag.html

I have these too but haven't used it as yet because the mesh bag has been doing a great job for me.
http://mightymagnets.com/algaeDozerScraperPads.html

OP
OP
Tft12

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
too late but moving forward try to use these Algae Cutter Bags. its a simple plastic mesh bag. Drop your magnet into it and it cuts through algae and corraline easy. I haven't had to use a scraper/credit card to remove coralline in months. it doesn't scratch acrylic either.
http://mightymagnets.com/algaeCutterBag.html

I have these too but haven't used it as yet because the mesh bag has been doing a great job for me.
http://mightymagnets.com/algaeDozerScraperPads.html

Thanks. I'll check out these products. So, you haven't used the Scraper Pads yet but the Cutter Bag has worked well without scratching your acrylic?

nrupaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. I'll check out these products. So, you haven't used the Scraper Pads yet but the Cutter Bag has worked well without scratching your acrylic?
yup thats correct. I should try the scraper pad sometime... but that bag works well so i figured why mess with a good thing.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 23.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 106 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back