Tips on cleaning your ATS.

  • Thread starter Thread starter atoll
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

atoll

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 20, 2012
Messages
5,985
Reaction score
11,204
Location
Wales UK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a tip.
I found my algae growth had reduced and wasn't sure why. However, I restored the growth after doing the following.
When cleaning your scrubber of algae every now and again take a cloth soaked in some white vinegar and wipe it over the clear acrylic sides protecting the lights. This will help remove any calcium build-up. You would be surprised how such a thin layer of calcium almost undetectable to the eye reduces light output.

I hadn't completely dismantled and completely clean of my ATS for about 2 years. When I decided to do a though clean I filled the algae growing compartment with RO water and citric acid crystals and left to soak for a few hours. This removed all traces of hard salt and calcium.
I now wipe over the clear acylic with white vinegar once a month to keep it clean of crud.
 
Thanks for sharing this info!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new