Tips on Restarting my Tank?

the.low.tide.boyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Looking for some advice and tips on how to restart my reef tank. The tank is a mature (almost 4 years), very low maintenance evo 13.5g filled with softies, lps, cuc and two clownfish. The reasons I want to restart are:

- It's generally looked the same for 4 years and time for a fresh look!
- Xenia and GSP continually overgrowing everything everywhere and I have to constantly trim
- I've been battling flatworms for 6-8 months and I can't seem to get rid of them

I want to restart my tank with new rock, new sand, transfer the livestock and 2-3 coral to the "new tank".

I'm assuming once I've emptied the tank and put livestock into buckets I'll need to wash out the tank (obvi) with a vinegar solution? I'm guessing I'd need to throw out the filter media assuming it's full of flatworms and flatworm eggs, right? The more I think about it, it seems like I'll have to cycle the tank with livestock + added bacteria? I live in a condo so I can't get like a giant tupperware container and keep the livestock in there while the tank cycles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

p.s my IG account for my tank is @the.low.tide.boyz if you wanna take a peek!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t start over completely . Get a red spotted gobie or a sixline wrasse. That will take care of your flat worm issue . The as far as coral just change out what you want . If you don’t want a fish to take care of your flat worms then use a product called “exit “

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back