Tips to get anomene to host clownfish

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time.
Mine stayed away for 8 months, then, overnight, jumped right in.
2CA43A22-25C5-4684-8EC5-5080D599336D.jpeg

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a while for a clown to be hosted by an anenome, especially with a captive bred clown.

I'm 8 days in and my Maroon has swum within 2" of the anenome and gone back to his skimmer intake.

I have heard tales of taping pictures of clownfish in anenomes to the glass can help show a clown what to do. Same with playing videos. I have also heard that will make a clownfish quite... Irritated at the 'intruder'.

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a while for a clown to be hosted by an anenome, especially with a captive bred clown.

I'm 8 days in and my Maroon has swum within 2" of the anenome and gone back to his skimmer intake.

I have heard tales of taping pictures of clownfish in anenomes to the glass can help show a clown what to do. Same with playing videos. I have also heard that will make a clownfish quite... Irritated at the 'intruder'.

This is so funny. I am going through the same thing right now. Just picked up maybe 3-4 days ago two Longfin Phantoms. They were in the main Reef Display tank at my local fish store. I've been watching them for a couple months. Finally decided to bring get them. I have a beautiful purple tip Nem waiting for them lol..... They have zero interest. They get close to it but they seem to like to play in the hammer coral more haha. But what is their fav spot to be? And these are not big they are babies..............as absolutely close to mp40's as possible. Stresses me out. Sometimes it bothers me so much I'll shut the one off they are hanging out at. I have noticed they love a little push or pull current. Sometime they will aim right at the cross tank one I have set up get as close as they can them let it blow them all the away across the tank. I'm new to this and don't know exactly how each species fish behave but they have brought some serious entertainment into my display.

My wrasse whos been basically a rock dweller since the day I got him months ago. Only hanging out in the rocks or hunting around the edges of them has decided he wants to be like the Clowns as well now is running all over the tank.

I kinda figured the designer captive bred were most likely not going to be interested (at least not initially) to the Nem but I am hoping they find some interest at some point. If anything just to keep them away from the pumps - smh.....

89EAEEEB-7150-446D-A9A4-3F21AF2885D2.jpeg 346CE563-EC12-473B-85D8-7C5257EFBA1E.jpeg

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I have ever read or been told about clowns can be summed up as thus: "Clownfish are freaking weird, Yo.". Nothing about what they do or why makes any sense at all.

Apologies for the slight derailment. It's definitely a waiting game when it comes to anenomes and clowns. A friend of mine waited a year before his pair of clowns chose an anenome over a filter intake.

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I have ever read or been told about clowns can be summed up as thus: "Clownfish are freaking weird, Yo.". Nothing about what they do or why makes any sense at all.

Apologies for the slight derailment. It's definitely a waiting game when it comes to anenomes and clowns. A friend of mine waited a year before his pair of clowns chose an anenome over a filter intake.
haha - That's how I plan to sum it up from now on as well.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get clownfish that are already in a nem. Otherwise it most likely never will.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also bta’a are not a favorite nem of choice for clowns.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just have to have patience. They just don't got barreling in as soon as the Nem is there sometimes a few days sometimes a few weeks. I have waited many weeks but so far they always end up in the Anemone sooner or later Just give them time there is nothing that you can do but wait until they are ready and decide to go to the Nem. I have had different clownfish all hosting different RBTA for the last 15 years. Clownfish most certainly do host in Bubble tips.

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a green bta. What are your tips to get my clownfish hosting the anomene?
i stupidly tried to get my maroon clowns to host a Condylactis, but then picked up a BTA on Thursday and my clowns started to host it the next day.
IMG-4493.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Clownfishdude29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also heard that u could take a pic of clowns in anomne and show it to them does this work? if not, what works best?

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What works best is just to wait and let them do it when they want. This is not something that you can just force to happen. If you have no patience you are in the wrong hobby.

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I posted the other day mentioning recently picking up two Longfin Phantoms. I have had them now maybe a week and half or so 2 weeks max. The larger of the two which I do believe has won the dominance battle (these two have been together for months I am sure of and maybe even longer) has officially made the purple tip nem its night time spot. I was completely shocked to look the other night around 12am-1am and she was curled right in and happy as could be. Now I will say she will not let her counterpart in at night but I have seen them both around the nem during the day now. I read quite a bit about designer clowns not taking to nems and specifically Phantoms not being the best for hosting. I was pleasantly surprised!

OP
OP
C

Clownfishdude29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont want to use that because they need to get slowly adjusted to its sting, forcing them in can potentially kill them

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back