Tips/tricks to removing encrusted corals from rocks/racks?

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 15, 2018
Messages
1,179
Reaction score
1,098
Location
KS
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of upgrading my tank with entirely new rockwork. Most of my SPS and LPS are fairly small and are only encrusted on a plug or small piece of rock, but I have some that have encrusted on the rocks or a frag rack.

Are there any ways to remove them so as to save as much of the growth as possible? I'm thinking I'd use a razor where I can and maybe a dentist type pick on rocky areas? Assuming that's worth the hassle of course.
 
It's not easy to say the least. Went through it last year on a redo. I ended up using a scalpel, razor blade, flat screw drive, you name it. I also ended up having to chisel some of them off which left a small piece of the old rock, but it was about the only way to save them. I also ended up with a whole bunch of frags I ended up giving away!!!!!!!
 
I use a bone cutter from a fragging kit to cut away at the Rock just at the base of the frag. Sometimes I can get the frag off undamaged with just a tiny piece of the rock. Sometimes it breaks some of the encrusted frags.

Be especially careful with your sensitive frags. I've had a frag rtn from damage to the base.
 
I get down as low as possible with bone cutters either at the base of the coral or by chipping out some of the existing rock. I expect to butcher them and am happy if I do not. They will sometimes break off nicely... then other time you have extra frags.

I would have some frag plugs and glue ready.
 
I have used hacksaw to cut the rock. That way it doesn’t hurt the coral. Bandsaw works well also.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new