Tips when ordering from LiveAquaria/UPS

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're getting something shipped overnight via UPS, I have some information to share. My first order from LiveAquaria did not arrive until after 5pm when it was scheduled to arrive by 10:30 AM. I learned that if you have the package shipped to your closest UPS Customer Center than the package will go directly from the airport to the center where they will hold it for you to pickup. I would recommend searching for the closest center and stopping by to chat with an employee because sometimes it is better to use a different zip code than the one listed on their address. Each UPS Center delivers to various zip codes, and certain zip codes go directly to the center whereas some zip codes get routed through another center. By putting the zip code listed on Google search, my package was routed through another center, slowing the delivery down by about 2 hours. Not a huge deal, but I want to minimize shipping and stress on fish. Address format I used on my latest shipment that worked great was as follows.

Hold for Customer John Smith
UPS CC - City Name
Address (use UPS recommend zip code)

Its difficult to contact the center via phone so again I recommend spending 5 minutes to stop by the center prior to shipping and ask them how they can hold package and what zip code is best for direct routing from airport to the center. This way you get your fish/Corals in their safe home sooner.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're getting something shipped overnight via UPS, I have some information to share. My first order from LiveAquaria did not arrive until after 5pm when it was scheduled to arrive by 10:30 AM. I learned that if you have the package shipped to your closest UPS Customer Center than the package will go directly from the airport to the center where they will hold it for you to pickup. I would recommend searching for the closest center and stopping by to chat with an employee because sometimes it is better to use a different zip code than the one listed on their address. Each UPS Center delivers to various zip codes, and certain zip codes go directly to the center whereas some zip codes get routed through another center. By putting the zip code listed on Google search, my package was routed through another center, slowing the delivery down by about 2 hours. Not a huge deal, but I want to minimize shipping and stress on fish. Address format I used on my latest shipment that worked great was as follows.

Hold for Customer John Smith
UPS CC - City Name
Address (use UPS recommend zip code)

Its difficult to contact the center via phone so again I recommend spending 5 minutes to stop by the center prior to shipping and ask them how they can hold package and what zip code is best for direct routing from airport to the center. This way you get your fish/Corals in their safe home sooner.

I do this with almost all of my stuff with UPS, especially packages that need to be signed for, and livestock. Stores such as Michael's offer this service. I don't go by and set it up. I have a UPS account (it's free) and do it thru their system. good tips, Reef

Last edited:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice.. UPS is horrible in my area, we never get overnight orders before 10:30 usually several hours late and a couple times like you 5:00 in the evening :( Fedex on the other hand is never late and typically delivers my overnight orders between 9 - 9:30.. these days if a seller doesn’t offer fedex Im probably not going to be buying anything from them.

Last edited:

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice.. UPS is horrible in my area, we never get overnight orders before 10:30 usually several hours late and a couple times like you 5:00 in the evening :( Fedex on the other hand is never late and typically delivers my overnight orders between 9 - 9:30.. these days if a seller doesn’t offer fedex Im probably not going to buying anything from them.

Yes, I agree. Fed-x guaranteed delivery by 10:30am is the best and i can't understand why liveaquaria.com isn't using them--something I didn't realize. Probably why I would use Aqualocker.com that uses fed-x 10:30am guaranteed delivery.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FEDEX versus UPS has a lot to do with where you live. For me, UPS tends to be more reliable. Another piece of advice (also somewhat dependent on where you live) is to not order livestock for a Friday delivery. An extra 24 hours in in the bag/box is usually not a problem; spending the weekend in Louisville IS.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 87 42.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 102 49.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back