Tissue loss on Galaxea? Help me figure out what is going on.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few weeks ago I noticed some tissue loss on some of my galaxea. I know I caused some of the damage when using tweezers to remove some vermetid snails from the rock they are on, but then the tissue loss started to worsen. I fragged the colony that had the most damage and thought I had fixed the problem, but I am seeing more tissue loss.

I checked my parameters and they were out of whack, but isn't it a bit odd for the galaxea to be the first coral to show damage/be stressed?

N- 10
P- 0.1
Alk- 5
Cal- 350
Salinity was 1.024

I haven't checked pH, but assuming it is lower than I would like.

I imagine my Alk and Cal could be the culprit, though again I find it odd that the galaxea is the first coral to go???

I have upped the Kalk concentration in my ATO by 50% and will retest Alk and Cal in the next day or so. I did a 20% WC on Monday, Will do another tomorrow?

I guess what I want to know is, are my parameters this issue, and will fixing them save these corals? Or do we think it could be something else?

IMG_0454.jpeg

IMG_0455.jpeg

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping to make sure I’m on the right track.

Plan is up my kalk concentration to get my calcium and alkalinity back up. And water change to get my nutrients down. I know they aren’t “bad” but typically I like to run them lower!

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping to make sure I’m on the right track.

Plan is up my kalk concentration to get my calcium and alkalinity back up. And water change to get my nutrients down. I know they aren’t “bad” but typically I like to run them lower!
This morning Alk up to 7.5 and Calcium 400. Nutrients are about the same even after water changes. Again I'm not too worried about it but still. I wonder if stirring up a bunch of crap in my display and sump, and killing as many vermetid snails as I could reach with pliers, might have causes my nutrients to remain unchanged despite the water change.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This morning Alk up to 7.5 and Calcium 400. Nutrients are about the same even after water changes. Again I'm not too worried about it but still. I wonder if stirring up a bunch of crap in my display and sump, and killing as many vermetid snails as I could reach with pliers, might have causes my nutrients to remain unchanged despite the water change.
Stirring up can but often temporary
Low alk would be an impact, high phosphate and also low salinity. Coral does not look bad and tweaks will help but do so gradually. Mine seems to respond well with occasional addition of amino acids twice a week

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back