Galaxea

waterdawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this is my tank for several months no water parameter changes.
Only thing I can think of is I fragged a Kenya tree (out of the tank) but did directly place frags back in the tank.
I have carbon in a filter sock just Incase, but galaxea seems to be getting worse.
Any advice ?
Na 5
Cal 480
Po3 .31
Kh8
Sal 34.4
Ph 8.2
Temp 77
I don’t test the water for anything else. I’m thinking I should be testing for something this coral needs ?
1523365E-07E1-458B-8B9E-DC6F21185F28.jpeg

Last edited:

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that PO3 or PO4? If it’s PO4 then that would be my first guess - it’s too high. I’d start lowering it slowly with some water changes and if that doesn’t work, small amounts of GFO to see how persistent it is. How many gallons and what type of lights are you using?

OP
OP
W

waterdawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphate is whatever Hanna ulr checker tests for, which I do think is po4…
180 gal
5 AI sol white. 10%w 60%b 11hrs a day 30 min ramp up/ramp down.
Galaxea is on the top half of tank with moderate-high flow. As previously mentioned the coral has been doing fine for several months. So I doubt light or flow is the problem. Chalice and montipora are at the same level in tank and are doing fine.

I know my phosphate is “to high”/not “ideal”
Rather than “chasing numbers” I’m “listing” to the tank. In this instance I doubt the tank is telling me the phosphate is too high. The phosphate has been on a slow decline if it starts to increase, I will consider gfo reactor.
I understand how phosphates can negatively affect Stoney growth and promote certain algae growth.
Not sure po4 would cause this “recession effect” , but that is why I’m on here asking…

Pretty sure I figured out the problem.
(tank is close to a year old)
I hate to say it but I check alk and mag for the first time and well….

alk is way to LOW (2.9). So I’ve started a dosing schedule of reef builder.
Mag seems to be acceptable but on the higher range at 1560 not sure if test (Red Sea) was accurate. Will continue to test/monitor weekly.

Thanks.
Maybe this info will help someone in the future.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphate is whatever Hanna ulr checker tests for, which I do think is po4…
180 gal
5 AI sol white. 10%w 60%b 11hrs a day 30 min ramp up/ramp down.
Galaxea is on the top half of tank with moderate-high flow. As previously mentioned the coral has been doing fine for several months. So I doubt light or flow is the problem. Chalice and montipora are at the same level in tank and are doing fine.

I know my phosphate is “to high”/not “ideal”
Rather than “chasing numbers” I’m “listing” to the tank. In this instance I doubt the tank is telling me the phosphate is too high. The phosphate has been on a slow decline if it starts to increase, I will consider gfo reactor.
I understand how phosphates can negatively affect Stoney growth and promote certain algae growth.
Not sure po4 would cause this “recession effect” , but that is why I’m on here asking…

Pretty sure I figured out the problem.
(tank is close to a year old)
I hate to say it but I check alk and mag for the first time and well….

alk is way to LOW (2.9). So I’ve started a dosing schedule of reef builder.
Mag seems to be acceptable but on the higher range at 1560 not sure if test (Red Sea) was accurate. Will continue to test/monitor weekly.

Thanks.
Maybe this info will help someone in the future.
I don't think that's possible with salt water to have an alkalinity at 2.9. Unless that's meq/l. That will be 8.12dkh. That is good. What is your salinity? You wrote 34.4 but can you check it again? How are you checking it and how are you calibrating your instrument for salinity?
Mag at 1560 is nothing to worry about unless you're sg number is off.

OP
OP
W

waterdawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a digital Hanna for salinity.
I calibrate it with the salinity packets from Hanna. Last calibrated about a month ago.
Alk 2.9meq/l = 8.1dkh

this test kit doesn’t seems as accurate as I’d like so results may be off more than I’d like. Will know more as tests are duplicated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back