Tissue loss underneath acropora colony canopy

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This a 20 cm acro colony that lost tissue at the stem. The top still grows fast and has good PE and good color. There is obviously little light underneath. Is this why the base looses tissue? Does one see this in the wild as well?

D4AB1C32-7454-423C-90FD-9195BF37C101.jpeg A0003110-6C3E-483C-BBF3-77869D2BF0CB.jpeg

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over what time period has the tissue recede? Are those aptasia at the base of the colony?
It receded over 4-7 months, perhaps. It’s fairly slow. And yeh, now there is all sorts of stuff growing there; algae, vermitid snails, aiptasia.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This a 20 cm acro colony that lost tissue at the stem. The top still grows fast and has good PE and good color. There is obviously little light underneath. Is this why the base looses tissue? Does one see this in the wild as well?

D4AB1C32-7454-423C-90FD-9195BF37C101.jpeg A0003110-6C3E-483C-BBF3-77869D2BF0CB.jpeg
That has such a small base If it were me would pull it and dip it, cut the base and epoxy it back to the rock.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It receded over 4-7 months, perhaps. It’s fairly slow. And yeh, now there is all sorts of stuff growing there; algae, vermitid snails, aiptasia.
Aips and vermitids will irritate the flesh, but I have this on some shady undersides too. That is why it is good to keep the rockwork low. My first couple of aquascapes were built far too tall and eventually it became almost unsightly looking at shaded undergrowth up to half the height of the tank.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aips and vermitids will irritate the flesh, but I have this on some shady undersides too. That is why it is good to keep the rockwork low. My first couple of aquascapes were built far too tall and eventually it became almost unsightly looking at shaded undergrowth up to half the height of the tank.
The coral seems happy but, yeh, it’s really unsightly .

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like there is an aptaisia growing right off the stalk, I'm sure the coral is being stung nonstop.
I don’t know, is that your experience? Several of my acros have aiptasia growing by their base and don’t seem to be bothered by it.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the struggles of success when acro colonies get over 6-8”. Obviously upwelling light helps but increased flow can as well. I would also saw off the dead base and remount. Have done this before with large healthy colonies.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the struggles of success when acro colonies get over 6-8”. Obviously upwelling light helps but increased flow can as well. I would also saw off the dead base and remount. Have done this before with large healthy colonies.
Would you not think that this must happen in the wild as well when they get even larger and have a plating form?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you not think that this must happen in the wild as well when they get even larger and have a plating form?

Maybe but our tanks are very different than the wild. Wild colonies have access to worlds more flow, food, light, etc.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is the tissue on the base attached to the rock still alive? If so, I’d say light probably isn’t the only cause of the tissue recession. May be a contributor, but likely a combination of factors.

In any case if the tissue recession is progressing I’d consider cutting off the base and reattaching. Can’t tell for sure but appears to have advanced to some of the areas that still get light.

If it’s stable, then no need to intervene unless you choose to for aesthetic reasons. I personally would be worried about progression or an increased risk of some type of infection, but it’s a hard call when you’ve invested the time and a colony has developed a nice shape like that.

Given the slow rate of progression, no rush and can see which direction things move before acting.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to the same degree. Colonies in the wild grow into place so that energy from the top is fed down to the lower areas and they tend to keep flesh and grow bigger at the base, not loose flesh and die. Totally a function of the coral being grown in a tank vs wild growth, ime. If the base stops growing then as the top grows it will eventually grow too big for the base attachment and get broken off in a storm surge.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another note worth mentioning on remounting it: not without risks. Medium colonies do ok with this. Sometimes XL colonies any big change can shock them into RTN.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrible with photos but this is the coral from above. It’s the plating one with blue tips. No idea what it is.

Attachments

• AD32A01B-40F5-4728-91DB-227838A905DF.jpeg
    AD32A01B-40F5-4728-91DB-227838A905DF.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 77

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing and beautiful, life makes its way forward even with artificial light handicap. I would leave it alone and let it grow up in the current situation, how can cutting this make it better?
Nicki Minaj Spaghetti GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back