Tissue loss underneath acropora colony canopy

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrible with photos but this is the coral from above. It’s the plating one with blue tips. No idea what it is.
Looks like Tricolor Valida and yeah it looks healthy. I have acres of the stuff; I'll go take a look and see if my bases have that look anywhere.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Tricolor Valida and yeah it looks healthy. I have acres of the stuff; I'll go take a look and see if my bases have that look anywhere.
Mine never based out much. It just grow upwards and branched quickly. It’s a very quick growing but it’s barely connected to the rock work. I am curious whether you see the same. My other valida’s, however, made a very significant base.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never based out much. It just grow upwards and branched quickly. It’s a very quick growing but it’s barely connected to the rock work. I am curious whether you see the same. My other valida’s, however, made a very significant base.
My first piece had a trunk about 3/4" in diameter and I don't recall it having white/no tissue underneath. Just faded/tan color. That is the first pic. IIRC, the underside looked just like the second picture-- faded tan color.

My guess is the aiptasia are stinging it. They are anemones after all. That is what they do. Some combination or Kleins Butterfly and true peppermint shrimp can keep them controlled over time. In my display they mange things very well. In my frag system, my son does the work.
IMG-4750.JPG
IMG-6301.JPG

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first piece had a trunk about 3/4" in diameter and I don't recall it having white/no tissue underneath. Just faded/tan color. That is the first pic. IIRC, the underside looked just like the second picture-- faded tan color.

My guess is the aiptasia are stinging it. They are anemones after all. That is what they do. Some combination or Kleins Butterfly and true peppermint shrimp can keep them controlled over time. In my display they mange things very well. In my frag system, my son does the work.
IMG-4750.JPG
IMG-6301.JPG
Do you have personal experience with the Klein's Butterfly?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have personal experience with the Klein's Butterfly?
Yes I do. They are tough on ANY anemones. But I quit bubble tips etc. ages ago. Can nip on some zoanthids but that is hit/miss. My Butterfly absolutely crushes aiptasia. It is a pretty aggressive fish but I keep mostly tangs so (s)he is pretty submissive around them. Angels and blennies also safe. Ask away, but I am a fan of Kleins for aiptasia.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do. They are tough on ANY anemones. But I quit bubble tips etc. ages ago. Can nip on some zoanthids but that is hit/miss. My Butterfly absolutely crushes aiptasia. It is a pretty aggressive fish but I keep mostly tangs so (s)he is pretty submissive around them. Angels and blennies also safe. Ask away, but I am a fan of Kleins for aiptasia.
You convinced me. I only have acropora and Montipora so I will get them a shot.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You convinced me. I only have acropora and Montipora so I will get them a shot.
Good luck. Mine has performed beautifully, but nothing is ever 100% certain. Peppermint shrimp are also indicated, but they were hit miss for me.

If I could just figure out vermitids. That is the only remaining pest I have not been able to manage very well.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. Mine has performed beautifully, but nothing is ever 100% certain. Peppermint shrimp are also indicated, but they were hit miss for me.

If I could just figure out vermitids. That is the only remaining pest I have not been able to manage very well.
My rocks have vermitid spikes like a hedgehog. But I can’t say they bother anything. They Provide shelter for sponges etc. Only things that decimate them is when an urchin bulldozes by.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could just figure out vermitids.
I'm down to two (but likely just one as I glued the tube). I've had success with bumble bee snails and Coral Snow. I'm going to switch over to the DIY recipe once I've used up my remaining bottle of Coral Snow. I also have a ton of emerald crabs which I've heard may eat them.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm down to two (but likely just one as I glued the tube). I've had success with bumble bee snails and Coral Snow. I'm going to switch over to the DIY recipe once I've used up my remaining bottle of Coral Snow. I also have a ton of emerald crabs which I've heard may eat them.
I found a dozen or so BB snails & I do CaCO3 (chalk, essentially) at each WC. Emerald crabs... I need to restock those. Interceptor keeps wiping them out.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a dozen or so BB snails & I do CaCO3 (chalk, essentially) at each WC. Emerald crabs... I need to restock those. Interceptor keeps wiping them out.

I have a ton of the snails and emeralds (comparatively, given the size of your tanks). I also use the chalk-equivalent daily, although I've skipped the last week or two because of my skimmer issues.

You dose Interceptor more frequently than many folks dose two part. Your colonies look great, though, so I guess I shouldn't really criticize your pest paranoia. Everyone on this board agrees that you have a pest paranoia, even if you refuse to admit it to yourself. If zapping your tanks with interceptor just because you went to the LFS for 20 minutes (and came back empty-handed) doesn't constitute a pest paranoia, I don't know what does.

njreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how reefs are made. Corals growing large, undersides dying off from lack of light/flow and becoming part of the reefscape as the new tissue and skeletal growth form.

I’d say it’s nothing more than the product of your ability and skills to grow acropora. Good job.

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how reefs are made. Corals growing large, undersides dying off from lack of light/flow and becoming part of the reefscape as the new tissue and skeletal growth form.

I’d say it’s nothing more than the product of your ability and skills to grow acropora. Good job.
I agree. I have similar shading effects on my acropora, pocillaporas, and Seriatopora. I also saw shading effects on the wild reefs of Coron, Philippines just last month!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back