New acros losing tissue, help?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the frags 36hrs...

"Acropora muricata were sub-divided and distributed among three 110-L aquaria, and exposed to phosphate levels of 0.09, 0.20, and 0.50 mg L− 1 for four months."
Seriously dude?…..You’ve had sps corals for 36 hours and want to debate someone that’s been growing some of the craziest acros on this site for 6 years. I could shoot a hundred holes in this study…..but I don’t need to. First of all there are no pictures of the corals. If they don’t look half as good as mine
IMG_3403.jpeg
IMG_3262.jpeg
IMG_3259.jpeg
IMG_3256.jpeg
IMG_3256.jpeg
IMG_3258.jpeg
IMG_3255.jpeg
IMG_3085.jpeg
IMG_3082.jpeg
IMG_3078.jpeg
IMG_2469.jpeg

then I’m not interested. And secondly I guess you didn’t even read the rest of the study.
IMG_3444.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously dude?…..You’ve had sps corals for 36 hours and want to debate someone that’s been growing some of the craziest acros on this site for 6 years. I could shoot a hundred holes in this study…..but I don’t need to. First of all there are no pictures of the corals. If they don’t look half as good as mine
IMG_3403.jpeg
IMG_3262.jpeg
IMG_3259.jpeg
IMG_3256.jpeg
IMG_3256.jpeg
IMG_3258.jpeg
IMG_3255.jpeg
IMG_3085.jpeg
IMG_3082.jpeg
IMG_3078.jpeg
IMG_2469.jpeg

then I’m not interested. And secondly I guess you didn’t even read the rest of the study.
IMG_3444.jpeg

You have no clue if your corals are more brittle than they would be under a different condition and you can't comment a prediction because you aren't testing. You quite literally outlined the sentence which would make simply looking at the corals a bad way to judge if their skeletons are more brittle.

I don't think those holes you are shooting are at the study. Maybe a stack of papers somewhere?

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3403.jpeg
IMG_3262.jpeg
IMG_3259.jpeg
IMG_3256.jpeg
IMG_3256.jpeg
IMG_3258.jpeg
IMG_3255.jpeg
IMG_3085.jpeg
IMG_3082.jpeg
IMG_3078.jpeg
IMG_2469.jpeg

IMG_3444.jpeg
I'm done having threads locked arguing with big egos about nutrients. You didn't even finish reading the page you quoted. "No effect on PE or mortality, but severely detrimental skeletal damage resulting in unhealthy, brittle SPS.
1000005404.jpg

You're free to do it your way with your "phosphates don't effect corals" method. I look forward to your MACNA speech when you're named reefer of the year, and your "Best corals on R2R" badge when Rev awards it to you.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take my advice or dont. I don’t really care. Your sps corals look like 5hit and mine are awesome with my philosophy/method. Either way you should at least check out my previous posts and threads before you start throwing 13 year old studies at me that don’t even apply to the home aquarium hobby. You might learn something.
Very rude ;)

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no clue if your corals are more brittle than they would be under a different condition and you can't comment a prediction because you aren't testing. You quite literally outlined the sentence which would make simply looking at the corals a bad way to judge if their skeletons are more brittle.

I don't think those holes you are shooting are at the study. Maybe a stack of papers somewhere?
Sooooo……you’re saying coral growth, weight, polyp extension, no visible effects of stress are NOT a good way of determining coral health? Only coral density matters??? I don’t know about your tank but there are no hurricanes, schools of sharks etc in mine. This study has nothing to do with the home aquarium hobby……even though it supports my earlier comment. Po4 doesn’t matter.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm done having threads locked arguing with big egos about nutrients. You didn't even finish reading the page you quoted. "No effect on PE or mortality, but severely detrimental skeletal damage resulting in unhealthy, brittle SPS.
1000005404.jpg

You're free to do it your way with your "phosphates don't affect corals" method. I look forward to your MACNA speech when you're named reefer of the year, and your "Best corals on R2R" badge when Rev awards it to you.
show you the treasure of the sierra madre GIF by Warner Archive

All it claims is they are more brittle. It does not say “severely detrimental skeletal damage resulting in unhealthy, brittle sps.”
Don’t be so dramatic

Doesn’t matter either way. If what they say is a fact then all of my sps would all been dead years ago.

Good luck. Sounds and looks like you’re gonna need it.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rennjidk i stopped the Rowa years ago. Also my PO4 can b on what’s considered the higher side for acropora .1-.15. Works for this
System but I leave alone and do water changes. Tank seems to run better without the gfo or Rowa.
I try to keep realistic goals. I was at almost 0.5ppm after exterminating a bubble algae and dino outbreak. I reached 0.2ppm through WCs, and am targeting 0.1ppm as a goal. I think stability is key more than anything else, so reaching and maintaining that target is my priority. In reality, that's probably just adding a teaspoon or two of GFO to my reactor each month.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I sometimes dose drip some brightwell phosphate e like 5ml into the filter sock before the skimmer chamber of sump. When it creeps above .15. Hanna tests.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely some tissue loss, but might bounce back. I would either move them to lower light (a lot will say this isn't an issue with acros, and I am pretty sure BC runs super high par, but still as a general observation my damaged corals seem to heal better in lower light. . . ) or leave them alone and see how they do.

Given how quickly you started seeing tissue loss my guess is some sort of "shock" but that is not a super scientific guess haha

I know that some people have success in higher phosphate systems, but could your phosphate being higher than BC's tanks have cause some sort of shock?

Also, I have had good luck dipping my acros with Coral Revive

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely some tissue loss, but might bounce back. I would either move them to lower light (a lot will say this isn't an issue with acros, and I am pretty sure BC runs super high par, but still as a general observation my damaged corals seem to heal better in lower light. . . ) or leave them alone and see how they do.

Given how quickly you started seeing tissue loss my guess is some sort of "shock" but that is not a super scientific guess haha

I know that some people have success in higher phosphate systems, but could your phosphate being higher than BC's tanks have cause some sort of shock?

Also, I have had good luck dipping my acros with Coral Revive
In retrospect, I may have just rubbed some of the tissue off when glueing it to the rock, being a stumpy table acro frag. All 9/10 other frags are doing well *fingers crossed* It is dead now, only skeleton left. I'll chalk it up to a learning experience, and use a more gentle hand in the future.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those sticks you got there Chuck. I got the hots for a few of those now. I believe in the saying “You gotta show and prove” and that’s it right there. Acros always speak for themselves louder than words can.
44DFEDDA-63B7-40B7-8491-188A27C0F585.jpeg
699E28BF-3B33-474A-B3DC-17E3540902BE.jpeg
D23165CA-6F0F-41DD-841C-04172064CE67.jpeg

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those sticks you got there Chuck. I got the hots for a few of those now. I believe in the saying “You gotta show and prove” and that’s it right there. Acros always speak for themselves louder than words can.
Thank you sir and I couldn’t agree more. There’s a ton of recommendations on here that are straight off the back of a bottle or a “peer reviewed paper”. All worthless if you don’t have the pics and experiences to prove it.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You know you guys can make your own thread if you want to admire each other's sticks. Idk why you're choosing to hijack my thread about a bleaching issue with a new frag?

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know you guys can make your own thread if you want to admire each other's sticks. Idk why you're choosing to hijack my thread about a bleaching issue with a new frag?
Maybe because the only two people who show proof of what they’re talking about wanted to help you. Or maybe we care about providing the proper environment for the living things that are those colorful sticks you like. I hate seeing noobs kill coral after coral and fish after fish in a salt crusted tank full of Dinoflagellates. What do you imagine is driving up the price of livestock so crazy and the fact that anyone with a frag tank is “Coral Farming”? Stores used to put the Cherries on sale and let customers find their own limited editions and they made a lot of money off of them. It’s what put a lot of them on the map. Now even wholesalers keep the good stuff, frag it and name it so they’re making a killing now and not the hobbyist or LFS. Wholesalers are more retail now. How many fish died because people insisted on having a Dory and a Nemo in a 20g BioCube or another awful all-in-one with no skimmer. Reefers are Reefers and tourists and tourists.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back