OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that.did you quarantined frags in qt tank?
Did I qt the frags I haven't taken possession of yet? That's going to be a negative. I honestly don't plan to either with any frags ordered from BC or JF, after reviewing their extensive qt process. Anything else I do besides a dip would only serve to stress them more, and not have much of an impact IMO.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is the high Nitrate and the fact that the tank seems to not have any other coral in there (which could indicate lack of biological diversity).
Don't worry, I'm going to add a culture of AEFW in addition to the frags. That's a 100% biodiversity increase.

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Did I qt the frags I haven't taken possession of yet? That's going to be a negative. I honestly don't plan to either with any frags ordered from BC or JF, after reviewing their extensive qt process. Anything else I do besides a dip would only serve to stress them more, and not have much of an impact IMO.
I mean once you got it are you planning to do it..it’s ok good luck with your trust

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it! I'd recommend starting out with classic acros known to be hardy like Green slimer and Garf Bonsai and see how they do.

People will say your nitrates are too high but they're wrong, good luck!

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the acros went in yesterday, and 24hrs later I'm starting to see some tissue loss on 2 of the frags. What's odd to me is that my clown keeps going over and nipping at the same spot where the tissue is gone, as well as a small blue leg hermit.

The first has around 1/4 missing right down the top/side of the frag.

1000005368.jpg

1000005377.jpg
1000005365.jpg

The other is just showing some skeletal tissue around the base

1000005379.jpg

Finally, I was able to get some in focus video of my Millies with great PE. I was wondering if anyone would be nice enough to give me their thoughts on the flow

I also have some updated parameters. Got ICP results back too and everything is green except Po4:

77.9F
35.1ppt
13.4ppm No3
0.19ppm Po4 (bringing down to 0.10 with Phosguard)
8.4dKH
1371ppm Ma
435ppm Ca

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the acros went in yesterday, and 24hrs later I'm starting to see some tissue loss on 2 of the frags. What's odd to me is that my clown keeps going over and nipping at the same spot where the tissue is gone, as well as a small blue leg hermit.

1000005368.jpg

1000005377.jpg
1000005365.jpg

1000005379.jpg

Finally, I was able to get some in focus video of my Millies with great PE. I was wondering if anyone would be nice enough to give me their thoughts on the flow

I also have some updated parameters. Got ICP results back too and everything is green except Po4:

77.9F
35.1ppt
13.4ppm No3
8.4dKH
1371ppm Ma
435ppm Ca

To clowns, food is food.
I don't think you ever said how old your system is. Is it relatively new? wasn't a dry rock start?

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1000005368.jpg

1000005377.jpg
1000005365.jpg

1000005379.jpg

77.9F
35.1ppt
13.4ppm No3
8.4dKH
1371ppm Ma
435ppm

1000005368.jpg

1000005377.jpg
1000005365.jpg

1000005379.jpg

77.9F
35.1ppt
13.4ppm No3
8.4dKH
1371ppm Ma
435ppm Ca

On a small SPS tank like you are running, I would just do a lot of water changes and dose to keep up alk and calcium.

Keep it super simple, you are just starting.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a small SPS tank like you are running, I would just do a lot of water changes and dose to keep up alk and calcium.

Keep it super simple, you are just starting.
What makes you think that I'm not, lol? That still doesn't account for RTN over a 24hr period. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a 30% or 40% water change that will reduce the phosphates, dilute any contaminants, and push everything toward ionic balance.

It takes new tanks a while to stabilize. I know the trend is to run higher nutrients on SPS tanks, but I wouldn’t do that in a new tank.

All your parameters need to be in line before adding acros. A test frag is a good idea to reduce the risk of losing a big order.

You are probably going to lose the acros that are STNing. Try to keep things super stable using your maintenance routine. Regular water changes and test alk on a regular basis. Keep nutrients detectable. Keep it as simple and stable as possible.

I don’t think flow is your issue now, you will probably need more flow down the road when things grow in.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a 30% or 40% water change that will reduce the phosphates, dilute any contaminants, and push everything toward ionic balance.
I did 3 70% WCs before adding the frags. I sent out an ICP test which shows the system is balanced. My only issue is my 0.19 Po4, and even then I'm using issue lightly. A lot of reefers have levels far higher and great acro tanks.
It takes new tanks a while to stabilize. I know the trend is to run higher nutrients on SPS tanks, but I wouldn’t do that in a new tank.
Again, NOT A NEW TANK.
All your parameters need to be in line before adding acros. A test frag is a good idea to reduce the risk of losing a big order.

You are probably going to lose the acros that are STNing. Try to keep things super stable using your maintenance routine. Regular water changes and test alk on a regular basis. Keep nutrients detectable. Keep it as simple and stable as possible.

I don’t think flow is your issue now, you will probably need more flow down the road when things grow in.
I already have an AWC system and dose AFR. I'm not searching for the cause of my phosphates, I already know the cause. I'm just trying to figure out why I lost one to RTN and the other frag is showing STN around the base. All other 8 frags look ok so far. I'm about ready to just chalk it up to shipping/acclimation stress.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Water changes don't do diddly squat to reduce phosphate. Nitrate, yes.
Po4 is bound to rock and sand and will equalize with the water colunm quickly.

I already have an AWC system and dose AFR. I'm not searching for the cause of my phosphates, I already know the cause. I'm just trying to figure out why I lost one to RTN and the other frag is showing STN around the base. All other 8 frags look ok so far. I'm about ready to just chalk it up to shipping/acclimation stress.

Sometimes frags just don't make it. Don't give up on them. Personally, I would lower them in the system for a week and make sure they are not shaded.
See what happens. If they are alive after a week, move then up 6" toward the light.

I have had things that look like death come back more than once.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with acros has been that keeping the tank somewhat stable, trace element dosing, and quality lighting with random (indirect) intense flow is the best. I killed maybe 50 frags before i figured it out.

Feed tank frozen quality food multiple times a day… get inkbird for temperature.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 3 70% WCs before adding the frags. I sent out an ICP test which shows the system is balanced. My only issue is my 0.19 Po4, and even then I'm using issue lightly. A lot of reefers have levels far higher and great acro tanks.

Again, NOT A NEW TANK.

100%. shipping is going to stress and have some losses. Also adjustment to dif levels, temps, lighting, flow, ect. You will lose corals from time to time. It happens. If 8 of 10 look good, polyp extension is good, color is good, I wouldn't worry. I like where your levels are and I wouldn't use a phos remover. Just reduce nutrients going in, maybe. Once the corals are growing they will suck up nutrients as well.

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100%. shipping is going to stress and have some losses. Also adjustment to dif levels, temps, lighting, flow, ect. You will lose corals from time to time. It happens. If 8 of 10 look good, polyp extension is good, color is good, I wouldn't worry. I like where your levels are and I wouldn't use a phos remover. Just reduce nutrients going in, maybe. Once the corals are growing they will suck up nutrients as well.

I'd agree. I always expect to lose a frag or two, but I also live in a cold region so there is a lot of stress with shipping here. If all the others look good keep your parameters stable and trudge ahead.

I will say one other thing, make sure you do frequent small water changes. I'm no pro with Acros (but I've been reefing for decades) and what I think is paramount is stability. With small water volumes you can get rapid rises in short times of almost anything and then a large WC will rapidly drop it. Better to change small volumes more often which will not allow big highs and lows.....but I think you know that already.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree. I always expect to lose a frag or two, but I also live in a cold region so there is a lot of stress with shipping here. If all the others look good keep your parameters stable and trudge ahead.

I will say one other thing, make sure you do frequent small water changes. I'm no pro with Acros (but I've been reefing for decades) and what I think is paramount is stability. With small water volumes you can get rapid rises in short times of almost anything and then a large WC will rapidly drop it. Better to change small volumes more often which will not allow big highs and lows.....but I think you know that already.
I actually have an AWC on the tank doing about 12oz a day, but I'm discontinuing it in favor of balling and a 3g WC every 2 months. My tank parameters are set to match my saltmix anyways, so I'll be pretty stable regardless.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back