New to this site, and just starting my saltwater tank journey.

AlexaNye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any helpful tips I would love them. I intend to try something that may be considered controversial? I don't know. Well see this is a long post.

I keep a lot of freshwater tanks, they are all planted, they have drift wood, and I use sponge filters. My 2 oldest 10 gallon tanks are so heavily planted I very rarely need to do a water change. I can usually just top them up and everything is perfect when I test the water. I can not remember the last time I had an ammonia spike in those tanks. Most of the changes I do out of that tank are to add water to a new tank or add more beneficial bacteria to a new one. The tank also only has 1 male Betta, a small hand full of mosquito fish, and 2 nerite snails. So not much of a bio load. My over stocked 35 gallon is a different story all together. It's over stocked on purpose. It's a community tank with a beautiful sorority of Bettas.

I'm hoping to do a similar set up with my saltwater tank. I have watched some videos on YouTube and there are people who have successfully used sponge filtration along with other Natural filtration methods Instead of the HOB, canister, and other mechanical filters.

I won't add fish until I have at least a month of perfect tests, and I have plants growing in the tank so please don't panic about the sponge filters. If the parameters won't hold that's what it is and I'll look into other options.

I have a 20 gallon tank I would like to use. I really want some clown fish and an anemone or 2. When the tank is cycled, planted, and holding all parameters where they should be, how many clown fish can/should I put in. Also, what are good tank mates? Some other small fish like minnows would be ideal for the ascetic I want, but whatever is best for the fish. I personally like the look of a small school of fish in the tanks with other non-schooling fish. My Bettas are all kept very happily in tanks with either minnows or mosquitoe fish.

What are the best snails for salt water tanks? My fresh water tanks all have a clean up crew. I never have to clean the glass I would love to let my nerite snails breed but they need salt water for that so I'll have to do more research on how to acclimate them if that's the route I go. I read an article that said to put them in a dry cup and let them slowly work their way in the saltwater. I won't have fish in the tank for at least a month after I start getting good tests so maybe this will be worth a shot.

I'm hoping for 2-4 clowns and maybe a small(6‐8) school of fish and a 3-5 snails? Really what I want is clown fish and seahorses but most of them cant live together and finding the like 2 varieties that can be housed together isn't easy from what I can tell also they'd need more than a 20 gallon tank.

Also, what is the over all opinion on getting some sand from the beach and puttingit in a new tank before adding fish whileits still cycling? There is a beach not far from me that is very clean. The sand is beautiful and I would love to have it in my tank.

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello & Welcome to R2R!
IMG_9144.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any helpful tips I would love them. I intend to try something that may be considered controversial? I don't know. Well see this is a long post.

I keep a lot of freshwater tanks, they are all planted, they have drift wood, and I use sponge filters. My 2 oldest 10 gallon tanks are so heavily planted I very rarely need to do a water change. I can usually just top them up and everything is perfect when I test the water. I can not remember the last time I had an ammonia spike in those tanks. Most of the changes I do out of that tank are to add water to a new tank or add more beneficial bacteria to a new one. The tank also only has 1 male Betta, a small hand full of mosquito fish, and 2 nerite snails. So not much of a bio load. My over stocked 35 gallon is a different story all together. It's over stocked on purpose. It's a community tank with a beautiful sorority of Bettas.

I'm hoping to do a similar set up with my saltwater tank. I have watched some videos on YouTube and there are people who have successfully used sponge filtration along with other Natural filtration methods Instead of the HOB, canister, and other mechanical filters.

I won't add fish until I have at least a month of perfect tests, and I have plants growing in the tank so please don't panic about the sponge filters. If the parameters won't hold that's what it is and I'll look into other options.

I have a 20 gallon tank I would like to use. I really want some clown fish and an anemone or 2. When the tank is cycled, planted, and holding all parameters where they should be, how many clown fish can/should I put in. Also, what are good tank mates? Some other small fish like minnows would be ideal for the ascetic I want, but whatever is best for the fish. I personally like the look of a small school of fish in the tanks with other non-schooling fish. My Bettas are all kept very happily in tanks with either minnows or mosquitoe fish.

What are the best snails for salt water tanks? My fresh water tanks all have a clean up crew. I never have to clean the glass I would love to let my nerite snails breed but they need salt water for that so I'll have to do more research on how to acclimate them if that's the route I go. I read an article that said to put them in a dry cup and let them slowly work their way in the saltwater. I won't have fish in the tank for at least a month after I start getting good tests so maybe this will be worth a shot.

I'm hoping for 2-4 clowns and maybe a small(6‐8) school of fish and a 3-5 snails? Really what I want is clown fish and seahorses but most of them cant live together and finding the like 2 varieties that can be housed together isn't easy from what I can tell also they'd need more than a 20 gallon tank.

Also, what is the over all opinion on getting some sand from the beach and puttingit in a new tank before adding fish whileits still cycling? There is a beach not far from me that is very clean. The sand is beautiful and I would love to have it in my tank.
Welcome!

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome! I actually still use all my sponge filters from my freshwater days in my QT/grow out tanks. They work well, but the one issue I have found is that the bubbles at the surface create a lot of salt creep in that area. Its something you don't have to worry about in freshwater obviously. I currently run a 25 gallon shallow tank that has no filtration, just rock. Just make sure you have good water movement and aeration.

I think collecting sand from the beach is a great idea to add biodiversity, but just make sure its clean. Many places have regulations about collecting rock and sand so maybe double check that.

I will also add that its difficult to get schooling behavior with any of these fish. You may get a group and they may be fine, but just swim independent of each other. They may also pick each other off until there is only one left (chromis). Just do your research and ask plenty of questions since there are plenty of people here who can help you out and share their experiences.
1706186364736.png

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 2 clownfish for a 20-gallon tank. These fish are very territorial. If you add more, 2 will likely pair off and proceed to bully the other clowns until death.

Finding a species that school may be difficult. Some suggest chromis. They are attractive but are very prone to uronema. So, you will need to do a bit of homework to decide how to proceed.

Sand and even water from the beach work just fine as long as they are clean and collected away from any freshwater inlets that would dilute salinity and more likely introduce contaminates from land.

TANG-WELCOME.gif

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
AlexaNye welcome to the reef. I discovered this forum as it seemed to always come up when I googled a question. Finally joined, then chose to become a supporting member and later a partner member to keep the forum available for others to come. My wife @Ocean_Queenie and I started culturing copepods and phytoplankton eventually selling some on here as a hobbyist. Eventually we decided to try to make a career out of it so we are now sponsors as well. I love the Reef2Reef community here and the wealth of knowledge. Thanks for joining us.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Sounds like an interesting start. I agree with the above that the sponge filter will create a mess with salt creep. I use one in a 20 gallon that I raise baby clownfish in and it definitely gets a lot of salt scale in the lid.

Dwarf cerith snails are good. I like reef cleaners.org for my snails.

Maybe look at firefish for your schooling fish. I think you could get away with maybe 3 with a pair of clowns. Research your clowns as some get really big. I have mocha clowns that haven’t gotten too large in 2 years. Have some Wyoming storms, black and white who are still really small and a year and a half old.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back