Titanium heater melted in ro tank

gia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I bought a finnex 500 watt titanium heater from BRS and the thing failed in turning off or sounding the alarm when the water dropped below 2 inches from the top of the heater while i was doing a water change. I spoke to BRS and they agreed it should have shut off according to the safety features.

So, my question is can I still use the ro water? The plastic melted but the titanium also burned. I am currently running carbon in my tank and I have fisH, LPS, SPS and Softies. Thanks!

4C189857-C47F-4D6E-BCF7-6BC99FAED064.jpeg

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I bought a finnex 500 watt titanium heater from BRS and the thing failed in turning off or sounding the alarm when the water dropped below 2 inches from the top of the heater while i was doing a water change. I spoke to BRS and they agreed it should have shut off according to the safety features.

So, my question is can I still use the ro water? The plastic melted but the titanium also burned. I am currently running carbon in my tank and I have fisH, LPS, SPS and Softies. Thanks!

4C189857-C47F-4D6E-BCF7-6BC99FAED064.jpeg
How much RO water is it? It seems highly unlikely to me to be worth the risk, since RO water is very cheap in comparison to even the lowest-cost corals.

I'm quite certain I'd personally just waste the water and start over, but I get water for "free" from my own well through my RO system.

OP
OP
gia

gia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much RO water is it? It seems highly unlikely to me to be worth the risk, since RO water is very cheap in comparison to even the lowest-cost corals.

I'm quite certain I'd personally just waste the water and start over, but I get water for "free" from my own well through my RO system.
It’s 45 gallons. Yes, it’s a lot cheaper to fill back up and thankfully I have plenty of salt to start over.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 45 gallons. Yes, it’s a lot cheaper to fill back up and thankfully I have plenty of salt to start over.
So the heater burned in mixed salt water or in RO water? Either way, I'd still probably just toss it.

Also, is the titanium actually burned, or just the plastic guard?

OP
OP
gia

gia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the heater burned in mixed salt water or in RO water? Either way, I'd still probably just toss it.

Also, is the titanium actually burned, or just the plastic guard?
It’s in ro with salt I mix in thats ready to use for water changes. The titanium looks burned to me. I’ve since dumped it all and am running new ro from my system in the container as we speak. I wiped out the inside of the container and yeah, there was a black residue on the towels. I should have just done this without asking but maybe this thread with help someone down the road.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s in ro with salt I mix in thats ready to use for water changes. The titanium looks burned to me. I’ve since dumped it all and am running new ro from my system in the container as we speak. I wiped out the inside of the container and yeah, there was a black residue on the towels. I should have just done this without asking but maybe this thread with help someone down the road.
Hey, the only dumb question is the one not asked (literally: dumb means without speaking).

You are following what I consider the best remedy to the situation.

Though it is probably not worth the risk if you don't have much electrical experience, I am still curious if the titanium and heater itself are actually ruined (aside from the fact that the fail-safes failed to begin with). I'd probably tinker around with the heater to see if it is truly ruined, but I don't recommend you play with fire (possibly literally) by messing with electrical components without education.

OP
OP
gia

gia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, the only dumb question is the one not asked (literally: dumb means without speaking).

You are following what I consider the best remedy to the situation.

Though it is probably not worth the risk if you don't have much electrical experience, I am still curious if the titanium and heater itself are actually ruined (aside from the fact that the fail-safes failed to begin with). I'd probably tinker around with the heater to see if it is truly ruined, but I don't recommend you play with fire (possibly literally) by messing with electrical components without education.
Thanks . I’m afraid to plug it in. . I was scared enough when I had to unplug it and it was sizzling.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks . I’m afraid to plug it in. . I was scared enough when I had to unplug it and it was sizzling.
Like I said, I'm not recommending it. I know enough to be dangerous, so I probably would, but, like I said, I know enough to be dangerous.

I do count it possible, though, that the heater may be fine and just the guard is melted/burned. It probably depends on how long it was heating above the water before you found out.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can agree with above how sure are you that titanium "burnt" through to internal heating elements? This would take some serious temperatures. The cord damaged? Some of this burnt plastic could of changed the parameters a bit, and some particulates added. Its a matter of a few dollars though I would just change it out for peace of mind.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back