TJD's GOLIATH (Red Sea Max S-650)

TJD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title can be misleading because there are much bigger tanks out there; however, I upgraded from a Red Sea Max C-250, thus the name "GOLIATH." I'd been running my 250 since 2012 and of course, got the "itch" to upgrade roughly 2 years ago. After reading a lot of amazing threads on R2R and conducting a lot of independent research; I was leaning towards a custom aquarium but could never pull the trigger because the 650 kept calling my name. I've been extremely content with the quality of my 250 so when "the boss" told me to get what I wanted with no regrets; I went with the 650.

It arrived roughly 2 weeks ago and was finally liberated yesterday as my wife and I transferred the 250 over to "GOLIATH." The transfer was fairly seamless (except for a couple of union leaks) and all livestock seem happy. Delightfully surprised on how much cooler Goliath runs campared to the 250.

The only concerns / questions I have at this time are:

1) How do I take "better" pictures ... I'm using my iPhone and all pics tend to be blurry and washed-out in blue
2) How loud should I expect the "trickle" to be as the water overflows into the mesh socks? I don't hear it in other rooms but when closer, I hear a soothing waterfall trickle.
3) Is it normal for the water level in the return pump chamber to be slightly lower than the rest of the sump?

Current Specs:

- Red Sea Max S-650 LED ... running stock at the moment with the exception of a Reef Octopus Varios 8 (running on the 2nd lowest setting)
- Additionally; created a refugium with just under a cubic ft of MarinePure 2" Cubes
- 100 lbs of CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand ... 1" or so sand bed
- Roughly 100 lbs of live rock from previous tank ... created a semi-artificial aquascape with a sunken ship theme
- ClearView Lid ... Tsunami ... in process

Current Coral Stock:

- GSP ... 1 large island / 1 small island
- Button polyps ... small colony

Current Live Stock:

- Emperor Angelfish - juvenile (GO BLUE!)
- Flame Angelfish
- Purple Tang
- Premium Goldflake Maroon Clownfish (GO NOLES!)
- MochaVinci Clownfish / Black & White Clownfish - Captive bread "pair" (HOOK'em HORNS)
- Blue Green Chromis x 1 (can't seem to keep a shoal / school)
- Yellow Watchmen Goby
- Tiger Pistol Shrimp
- Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
- Small, randomized CUC

Future Live Stock ... these are under consideration but won't all be purchased ... any input / experience would be greatly appreciated:

- 3-5 Anthias ... not sure on which specific one yet ... recommendations welcome (Blotched is kind of a dream :) )
- Angelfish (large) ... Magestic or Regal or Spotbreast (male/female)
- Angelfish (dwarf) ... Bi-Color or Cherub or Potters
- Blue Throat Trigger ... possibly male / female
- Diamond Watchman Goby
- Green Mandarin
- Powder Blue or Powder Brown Tang

Whats next ... Phase 1 (next 1- 4 weeks):

1) Figure out how to take better pictures in order to post
2) Finish refugium (add 5280 Pods / OceanMagik Phytoplankton / Chaeto) with Tunze Eco Chic Refugium Light
3) 2 ReefWave 25 (maybe) ... Flow seems to be good thus far ... I like the idea of the ReefWaves from an automation perspective. Thoughts?
4) Weekly 10% water changes
5) Do a better job monitoring Alk / CA / MG than I did on 250 ... would like to be able to diversify my coral list
6) Have fun!

Thanks for following and being such a welcoming platform!

Todd

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s have some pictures then Todd! Lol

The level in the return chamber is the same or slightly less than the main sump, and you shouldn’t get much noise from the downpipes into the sump once turned correctly.

You might hear a trickle in the filter sock bit with the doors open otherwise its quiet. You will hear more of a trickle when they are ready for changing and they overflow.

OP
OP
T

TJD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turned the blues down to get a picture of "Goliath."

2) Finish refugium (add 5280 Pods / OceanMagik Phytoplankton / Chaeto) with Tunze Eco Chic Refugium Light
3) 2 ReefWave 25 (maybe) ... Flow seems to be good thus far ... I like the idea of the ReefWaves from an automation perspective. Thoughts?
4) Weekly 10% water changes (???)
5) Do a better job monitoring Alk / CA / MG than I did on 250 ... would like to be able to diversify my coral list
6) Have fun!

Goliath2.jpg

OP
OP
T

TJD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going through the acclimation period with the LEDs. With that being said, what are the positives and negatives of more blue in my future scheduling compared to more white?

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turned the blues down to get a picture of "Goliath."

4) Weekly 10% water changes (???)
6) Have fun!

Goliath2.jpg
You forgot 7. Remove pirate ship!! Lol

Looking good so far and keep the pictures coming

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! I know that the pirate ship isn't for everyone ... :)
Can you like, well, edit it out of the pictures! Lol

Only joking, it looks very natural.......

How are you setting up the refugium ?

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is so much urine that is going to be extracted over the ship, you need to send me rum if I need to deal with a pirate ship!
Looks very nice. :)

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is so much urine that is going to be extracted over the ship, you need to send me rum if I need to deal with a pirate ship!
Looks very nice. :)
No, rum is bad for your nasal passages Simon due to the extra spices, vodka is much cleaner and so better for you! Lol

OP
OP
T

TJD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today signifies the 1-week mark for my version of GOLIATH.

Over the past week .. I:

1) Tested & monitored water parameters ... all are doing well except Ca (395). As I mentioned before, I'd like to do a better job with Alkalinity (which was 8.5), Ca, & Mg in this tank so I can introduce some more softies with the ultimate goal of "adulting" by adding a few more advanced corals.
2) Upped the Varios 8 from the 2nd to the 3rd setting ... not sure if I need more flow or not?????
2) EXPERIENCED A MAJOR DIATOM EXPLOSION ON THURSDAY!
3) Completed a 10% water change today (Saturday)
4) Added to my Refugium (approximate a cubic yard of 2" MarinePure blocks) ... 32 ounces of 5280 pods & 30 mL of OceanMagik phytoplankton mix. I'll run the sump without socks the next 48 hours or so while 'dosing' the OceanMagik daily. I'll add the Chaeto & Refugium light within the next 7-10 days.

What's next ... 7 - 21 days:

1) Build-out rockwork
2) Add a small CUC (10 Trocus / 10 Nassarius / 10 Cerith / 1 Sea Serpent)
3) Possibly add Diamond Watchman Goby
4) Take more pictures
5) ClearView Lid should arrive

Have a great rest of your weekend!

Todd

OP
OP
T

TJD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a couple of weeks since my last update while today signifies the 3-week mark for my version of GOLIATH:

So here's what's been going on:
- small additions to what was already a small CUC from my MAX 250 ... I've added 5 Banded Trochus Snails, 5 Astrea Snails,
5 Cerith Snails, 5 Nassarius Snails, 5 Scarlet Hermit Crabs and 5 Drawf Blue Hermit Crabs
- added roughly 20 more pounds of live rock ... created a second "arch" to the right of the sunken ship
- added a Reef Wave 45
- completed a 72 hour (day 18-19-20) 'black-out' to help control the diatom bloom
- weekly 10% water changes

Here's what's next:
- Finish refugium ... add roughly 4-6 ounces of Chaeto & install Tunze Ecochic Fuge Light (which finally came in)
- Begin the "equilibrium" process and dosing for Ca - ALK - Mg

... more pics on the way

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back