~TJ'S 125g ~ Building of the Reef~

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mostly MHO, but my moderate Biology background shows that beyond it being a great mild acidic cleaner it is also a good Carbon Source for the bacteria to grow.

I'm well aware of it's use as a carbon source. Just like vodka. The fish, corals, and I have a toast every once in a while. lol. I've used vinegar in the past to clean off older, well used power heads. I was just wondering if there was a specific reason rather than using dawn and water. That's all. :bigsmile:

I was asking more to why you think it speeds up bacteria colonization after soaking your equipment. Do you rinse things off after vinegar bath or do you plop them in the tank? I understand vinegar as a carbon source.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it to be kind of like a petri dish, vinegar somewhat sterilizing then coating with a bacterial food source. I typically don't wash off the vinegar solution at all just back into sump, even power heads I will run in a bucket alongside tank for an hour or so then brush off and back into DT. Don't have to disconnect or fish out the power cords even this way.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reeftank Update: So....... decided to finally give both Unique Corals and Reef Bids a go and have orders coming in tomorrow from both. Will post up some pics and my comments to both shipments tomorrow here and on Vendor feedback. Being friends with both Scott and Chris am really looking forward to a couple of the ones I picked out, but will now need to sell off a couple larger mature duplicate colonies to make room fro them.

Cheers, Todd

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it to be kind of like a petri dish, vinegar somewhat sterilizing then coating with a bacterial food source. I typically don't wash off the vinegar solution at all just back into sump, even power heads I will run in a bucket alongside tank for an hour or so then brush off and back into DT. Don't have to disconnect or fish out the power cords even this way.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks for the clarafication. From what I know of vinegar and its use as a carbon source, makes sense.

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd, which doser do you use for dosing?

Best,
Roland

Hey Roland, I am using a SWC Master Doser 3X which seems to be just another private labeled Chinese piece of equipment identical to a couple other brands. It was fairly inexpensive and had the triple head for anti-siphoning that more expensive brands toted. My only complaint is that it came equipped with not the highest quality tubing and stretched out to the point of not being accurate to settings on volume. I replaced it with some better tubing I had laying around but would like to find some quality Surgical Grade to replace them all again with. Currently my dosing has been in HIGH demand with Calcium at 135ml /day, Alk at 180ml/day while Mg has been pretty constant and minimal at 30ml/day. I also supplement a couple times a week with a gallon of super saturated Kalkwasser (4 heaping teaspoons of Calcium Hydroxide and about 1/3 cup of vinegar) I desperately need to finish my improved ATO and put my Kalk Stirrer online.

Cheers, Todd

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine and Joes dp4s didn't come with tubing. Any suggestions of where to get the right tubing? And is there a reason one shouldn't use .25" airline tubing since it fits?

rs1831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Todd,

Thank you for the information. Why do you supplement kalkwasser along with the 2 part?

Thanks,
Roland

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jackie, I would love to have a 84" x 42" x 30" 450g Reeftank which has been my Dream for some time.

Like stated above vinegar is a perfect mild acid to clean away all kinds of oily films and residues with, plus totally Reef Safe. For breaking in Skimmers I believe it also greatly speeds up the bacterial colonization of the surfaces.

Cheers, Todd

Well since you're the builder, why don't you just go for it ;) I'm sure it would be awesome!

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackie, regular 1/4" silicon airline tubing would probably work short but most likely was what was on mine to begin with and stretched out to the point of nearly useless. I believe 1/4" I.D. Surgical tubing is more resilient or better suited.

Roland, I am manually supplementing doses with saturated Kalk out of necessity for now until I get the Kalk stirrer online. Hopefully will keep up once complete, if not will need to take another look at a Calcium Reactor..... just do not have the room to hide one very well as is.

Coral Pics soon................. gotta stretch this out if I'm ever going to catch up with Jackie, Heath and Andy for post counts to their Build Threads.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woot Woot! look what I picked up at the FedEx hub yesterday........

IMG_20150109_113627702.jpg
IMG_20150109_114959802.jpg

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Unique Corals, a GORGEOUS Bali Maricultured A. echinata ? Combo Colony about 3"x5"x4" FedEx was even kind enough to make a few small frags on the way...lol BIG BONUS, was an Acro Crab healthy and kickin' which I saved from the Dip process and replaced afterwards. Will have to get the real camera out to get a pic of it IF my Melanurus leaves it be.

IMG_20150109_153823605.jpg

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next up for your viewing pleasure Jackie is............................. wait for it................................ These AMAZING YUMA's from Reef Bids Bright Purple over a deep Blue base. Pics right after acclimation and Dip. Going to mix these beauties in with my two XXL Orange and Gold Yuma (in background) for a Yuma Boquet. Will update this pic later when the lights are all on, looking pretty sweet this morning already even in the Dawn lighting.

IMG_20150109_153833996.jpg

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to Unique Corals for this nice sized Stick an ORA Yellow Fuzzy, really looking forward to seeing this one today once polyp'd out a bit.

IMG_20150109_142849245.jpg

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annnnnd bouncing back to contents of Reef Bids box is this large mixed Zoanthid colony with Bonus Clams and Oysters. All PO'd from an extra strength dip and being turkey basted and brushed off. Looking very nice this morning but will need to clean the Frag Tank glass a bit to be able to photograph better from front.

IMG_20150109_142831054.jpg

Cheers, Todd

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 32 38.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 41.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back