TJ's SPS Vanity Build - Purple Orange & Grey!

TJ_Burton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef2Reef!

Been creeping the forum for a while and decided it was high time I share my new build.

First, an introduction!

I am a long-time reefer that has been in the hobby for 16 years, had many reef aquariums from 10 gallon nano tanks to 250 gallon beasts. I've experimented with various forms of lighting, filtration, dosing methods, and found many ways to push my hobby into unfamiliar territory in attempts to find a better way of reefkeeping. I am on another one of those journeys, attempting a reef using methods I have no hands-on experience with, and boy am I excited!

Here are some of my aquariums from years past

20 Gallon Reef 2004:
What I consider my very first successful reef (there were 2 softcoral tanks prior to this one but they weren't anything to write home about). The tank was custom and measured 24" x 18" x 12" tall, had a single 1.5" hole drilled for a standpipe overflow, and was run on my very first sump system (a standard 20 gallon with a single baffle to separate the pump from the skimmer). The lighting on this tank is what set it apart. This 20 gallon system used two VHO fluorescent, one 250 watt Radium MH, and one 175 watt 10,000K MH. Yep, a literal BUTT-TON of light and heat. The tank did amazingly well and no corals bleached at any point. In fact, a few bleached corals I purchased (the orange short tentacle plate coral in the front for example) recoverd in this system to their former glory. Surprisingly, the temp of the tank didn't exceed 81.F and usually hovered at 80.F

NanoTanknov82004.jpg

40 Breeder 2009:
This system I built with the aim of having no powerheads or equipment in the display itself. Instead I drilled 3 holes behind the overflow (two in the bottom, and one near the top), and 4 holes in the aquarium (two on the back panel and two in the top corners at the front). The tank ran on 2 pumps in the 3000gph range, both through SCWD units and the flow was just incredible. My only gripe is the maintenance to keep the SCWD running smoothly. This was the first all T5HO system I did, and utilized 6 bulbs. The corals did very well, and so did the 4 clams. This was my first SPS dominant system.

NewBulbsFTSq7nGU.jpg

20 Gallon SPS 2012:
This tank was my attempt at debunking a common myth. You can't run a successful reef using a canister filter. Not only did I do that, I did so without using a skimmer either. I used a Radion XR30 for light, two MP10s for flow, ran a UV sterilizer, and had an Eheim 2215 Classic Canister for filtration. I removed all fine filtration from the Eheim and ran only substrat pro and coarse filter pads. At no point was the canister ever caked in debris. I cleaned the canister every 2-3 months, and did weekly 5 gallon water changes. I also utilized an SWC triple dosing pump on this system for the big 3, and dosed Aquavitro. Color was harder to achieve in this system, but that was largely due to the UV sterilizer having a rusting metal insert (Coralife Turbo Twist) once it was removed, and I ran metal absorbing media, the corals all began to bounce back in color and grew faster.

miniRIFBN.jpg

I have had a few systems since the 20 gallon SPS reef in 2012, but nothing I held on to long enough to reach maturity, so I'll omit them.

Fast forward to today!

I am in the process of setting up a system I shut down before I made a big move from one province to another. The tank and stand are really the only components I kept, and have been in the process of procuring various custom made acrylic and modified gear to match the Purple Orange, and Grey theme. Here is what I have so far for equipment:

Fotor_155088046086426.thumb.jpg.ada264e901771b60d7f1c0e7cfa45a7f.jpg

All the PVC work was done with bends rather than fittings save for a few key places.
Acrylic work is by Pro-Clear aquatics.

I have a video of how all the plumbing came together here:

Today I am just finishing filling the system with RODI for a test run to check for leaks and overall system function. I am also going to be doing another custom light for over the tank as I was fortunate enough to procure a new lighting system that I have never used before (not Ecotech, AI, Kessil, Orphek, Nanobox, Maxspect, Aqamai, etc) which looks like it will do a fantastic job!

The goal with this system is to try a few methods I've never explored previously:
  • Bare bottom
  • Kalkwasser
  • Algae Reactor in lieu of Refugium
  • Gyre pumps instead of propeller pumps (not 100% on this)
  • Color coordinated equipment (the challenge comes in finding quality gear that also fits a color theme)
  • 120 day cycle/maturation before any corals (I have also added corals and fish early with much success, but I want to see how much easier it may be with a system that is more mature (similar to WWC/BRS method).
I also wanted to keep this system Montipora dominant, but may also include Anacropora, Seriatopora, Stylophora, Pocillopora, Portites, and Turbinaria.
I am also planning to house clams in this system as I simply adore them.

Fish are still a toss up, but I am leaning towards a pair of Orange Skunk Clowns to start. We shall see, as I don't have any plans for anemones or anything they could host in lieu of one.

Here is my current equipment list:
  • Pro-Clear Frag Fuge Reef Sump
  • Pro-Clear ATO Reservoir (custom colors)
  • AquaticLife 4 Bulb T5HO with Custom Paint (changing this)
  • Eshopps Axium X-120 Protein Skimmer
  • Nanobox Reef Mini Tide LED (frag section)
  • OCTO KS100 Nilsen Stirrer & Aquamedic Dosing Pump
  • Current USA eFlux DC Return Pump 1050

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Love the past tank pictures. Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
TJ_Burton

TJ_Burton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Love the past tank pictures. Welcome to R2R!

Thank you!

I figured since I am "new" (joined in 2014... lol) I would give a little bit of my reefing history :)

I did the wet test on the system last night. Dialed it in and it was nice and quiet! I did a power outage test and the system had a hard time restarting; the pump section ran nearly dry and was blowing bubbles while the display ran much higher than intended. That said, the aux/backup drain did its job and took on the extra water.

I'll fiddle with it some more today and figure out what is happening.

OP
OP
TJ_Burton

TJ_Burton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!

For whatever reason, the Current-USA eFlux DC Pump is ignoring the setting on the controller and ramping right to 100% when power to the pump is cycled.

This is either a MAJOR design flaw, or a faulty control. I am leaning towards the latter, as neither of the other eFlux pumps I've used had this issue.

So here is what is happening.
  1. Turn on power to the pump
  2. Set to ~50% power
  3. Adjust gate valve to create full siphon
  4. Allow to run for 10 minutes to verify system runs optimally
  5. CUT POWER TO SYSTEM (simulated power outage)
  6. RESTORE POWER TO SYSTEM
  7. Pump comes back on and ignores the setting on the control and ramps to 100%
  8. System comes close to overflowing, pump runs nearly dry, AUX drain saves the day
If I can't get Current-USA to resolve the issue, I will have to find a different pump, and will be leaning towards a straight AC pump with fixed GPH so I avoid this issue entirely.
Oh technology...

Fotor_15518977819476.thumb.jpg.69258a6644260bce3992a7bb07c03297.jpg

OP
OP
TJ_Burton

TJ_Burton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current USA confirmed its a known issue from a while back, so I must have purchased some old stock.

That said they are sending a new HUB (control) for the pump which should rectify the issue.

OP
OP
TJ_Burton

TJ_Burton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick little update that shows the system running - its really quiet and I am extremely happy with how it turned out!

Kryssie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been watching your YouTube videos. I love your sump and plumbing. I wish I had seen your video on bending pvc before I fought with adding a million elbows on my plumbing. Gorgeous build!

OP
OP
TJ_Burton

TJ_Burton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been watching your YouTube videos. I love your sump and plumbing. I wish I had seen your video on bending pvc before I fought with adding a million elbows on my plumbing. Gorgeous build!

Thanks so much!!!
I'll tell ya, it takes some time to do all those bends. If you have tons of places to bend, it might just be worth it to use the elbows and save yourself the frustration. Hahaha... either that or make jigs for all the bends so they are perfect every time.

My new light arrived!

Sneak peek:

Fotor_15528209286057.thumb.jpg.1e944fa6ea4c02d69ea66c31578490cc.jpg

OP
OP
TJ_Burton

TJ_Burton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, had my PC give up the ghost two weeks ago and that set me back a bit. Built a new beast so I can get back in the swing of editing.

Also started the scape for the system! Video coming out on that soon.

IMG_20190328_044936_144.jpg

20190417_164753.jpg

OP
OP
TJ_Burton

TJ_Burton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some quick updates!

1. Going to try a new DC return pump in the form of Hydor's Seltz D DC pump!

20190430_165236.thumb.jpg.8dbcb6de24d0448cc6e507c74098ae35.jpg

2. Got a skimmer riser/platform from Aliexpress and after 30+ days of waiting it arrived. Have to say, its pretty impressive for $35 or so that I paid. I am sincerely impressed with the quality for the price. Redstarfish offers some pretty decent products if this is what they are all like in terms of quality!

And lastly I picked up some thermal polymer to bond my rockwork and move it into the disply. Gotta say it took some getting used to, and I did have some rocks fall and some breakage, but once I got the hang of it I am pretty happy with the results. I will give a better breakdown on my opinion of thermal polymer for bonding rocks at a later date.

20190430_165426.thumb.jpg.8c55d7ff4e62fe16c141ac546781cda3.jpg

IMG_20190501_113931_570.thumb.jpg.3b09b6afc8b8d51db57bca2d1b5eaa32.jpg

OP
OP
TJ_Burton

TJ_Burton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

So I haven't swapped the pumps yet because the Hydor does not have adapters to go directly to PVC, so I have to figure out how I want to go about attaching it to the return line. Possibly just soft tubing from the step fitting to the bulkhead on the sump, or perhaps I will find the correct adapter to go directly to the hard pipe that the eFlux is using.

That aside, the tank is running and has been salty for about 2 weeks now! Going to let it run for another month or more without coral, and will probably add a pair of clowns once my fishless cycle finishes.

Currently not running any light on the tank, and also have not yet started using the skimmer, any circulation pumps within the display, etc.
Just doing its thing with the return pump, bare sump, filter sock, and Caribsea Life Rock.

I have a butt-ton of corals coming from a close friend of mine who is shutting down their system; that is going to happen over the next couple of months and I am realllllly hoping it goes smoothly.

This should get a ton more interesting in no time at all!

OP
OP
TJ_Burton

TJ_Burton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... it pains me to say that due to hurricane Dorian flooding my basement (among other damages) this build has been permanently halted. The stand was damaged and the tank had to be torn down and moved not only to repair the floors, but because several pieces of equipment had their various controllers or power supplies low enough that they were destroyed by the water.

So this build is no longer...

I do have some, thankfully, very exciting news that I will share in a new build thread thanks to Adaptive Reef!!!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@TJ_Burton how is this beautiful setup doing?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back