New Office tank

luciencote101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after almost a year out after moving to Texas I have decided to start a new office tank. I have gone with the Red Sea Reefer Max G2 200L. I am using all the standard equipment plus a 5 gallon crystal ATO reservoir and a Finnex 300W titanium heater. I am cycling now with DR Tim’s fishless cycle method. I am in day two of the cycle. I am not sure which way to go with this system. Do I do a mixed reef or an SPS dominant system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also any input about these Red Sea systems as far as capabilities

IMG_0924.jpeg IMG_0928.jpeg IMG_0927.jpeg IMG_0925.jpeg

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after almost a year out after moving to Texas I have decided to start a new office tank. I have gone with the Red Sea Reefer Max G2 200L. I am using all the standard equipment plus a 5 gallon crystal ATO reservoir and a Finnex 300W titanium heater. I am cycling now with DR Tim’s fishless cycle method. I am in day two of the cycle. I am not sure which way to go with this system. Do I do a mixed reef or an SPS dominant system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also any input about these Red Sea systems as far as capabilities

IMG_0924.jpeg IMG_0928.jpeg IMG_0927.jpeg IMG_0925.jpeg
Looks like a good start! I'm always a fan of mixed reefs personally, there's a lot more movement and ability to move stuff around, etc. Plus it allows you to be somewhat (but not really) more lax on upkeep.

OP
OP
L

luciencote101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good start! I'm always a fan of mixed reefs personally, there's a lot more movement and ability to move stuff around, etc. Plus it allows you to be somewhat (but not really) more lax on upkeep.
I appreciate the input. I will have some LPS in there either way but I may have a heavier lean towards SPS. Haven’t decided

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the input. I will have some LPS in there either way but I may have a heavier lean towards SPS. Haven’t decided
What I have done is layer my rock work so that I have different levels that are mostly separated. So lower right of my tank is zoas and leathers, lower left is all hammers. Mid left is torches and montis, mid and upper right is all for sps. This way I can have some of each and every layer fulfills the lighting and flow requirements for whatever corals I want. I also put my gyres higher up so I get the wave action but the predominant flow is higher in the tank for the sps

OP
OP
L

luciencote101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have done is layer my rock work so that I have different levels that are mostly separated. So lower right of my tank is zoas and leathers, lower left is all hammers. Mid left is torches and montis, mid and upper right is all for sps. This way I can have some of each and every layer fulfills the lighting and flow requirements for whatever corals I want. I also put my gyres higher up so I get the wave action but the predominant flow is higher in the tank for the sps
I kind of have the same thing later out but more sloped than shelved.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back