TLF Stax Aquascape for 46.5” x 21.5 x 17” display.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’m in the process of a tank upgrade and I’ll be using an entirely new aquascape. My current tank has a scape made up of Two Little Fishies Stax flat cut rock, CaribSea Rubblezone and some Innovative Marine Snapgrid to raise parts of it up off of the bottom. I like flow under the scape as well as through and around it.
For this build I’m using Stax again along with TLF Little Feet (essentially smaller Stax) and TLF Little Rox (essentially Stax rubble).
The inside dims of the new display area are 46.5” x 21.5” x 17”. There is at least 4” of clearance between the rear wall and the back of the closest structure and at least 3” on each side. No part of the scape is higher than 11” except for one little place.
I realize that this is not the most natural looking scape and it’s not really meant to be. I am trying to maximize places to put corals while keeping a very open scape and still providing places for fish to hide and feel safe. For example 3 of the 4 main islands are raised up about 4” off the bottom. My Tomini Tang currently lives under a similar island and seems very happy, it’s been under there for over 3 years.
I’m just looking for some constructive feedback. Does it look too cluttered? Would you move anything? I’m honestly pretty happy with it as is but I’d like some other perspectives, I’ve been in my own bubble with this for a long time.

Yardstick across the front is 48” which is the outside length of the tank. Yardstick on the left and yellow level on the right have blue painters tape at the 17” height marker.
Apologies for the cluttered workbench.
IMG_4270.jpeg

IMG_4271.jpeg

IMG_4272.jpeg

IMG_4273.jpeg

IMG_4274.jpeg

IMG_4275.jpeg

IMG_4276.jpeg

IMG_4277.jpeg

IMG_4278.jpeg

IMG_4279.jpeg

IMG_4280.jpeg

IMG_4281.jpeg

IMG_4282.jpeg

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything obvious that sticks out.

It looks good and I think the stax are growing on me, if I had any locally I'd probably pick some up to play around with

Was the slope from high to low intentional? If so ignore my comment below!

If not I'd say let's see what it would like like with maybe a high, low, high, low. Just to mix it up and provide you with some additional sight/line breaks.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this be LPS, SPS, or mixed reef? I like the scape and have only one suggestion. Remove the three smaller pieces from the largest shelf on the left side.

Looking forward to seeing this build!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it overall.

Will there be a sand-bed? If so how deep?

I sort-of agree with @SliceGolfer except I would just lose the very top piece on the tallest structure, unless you have a specific coral planned for that spot. It is really too small for anything that is starting to grow out, although some encrusting corals might look good there and turn the top into a proper peak.

I really like the shaded areas. They should be great for blastos and such. I think your fish/inverts will love it.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything obvious that sticks out.

It looks good and I think the stax are growing on me, if I had any locally I'd probably pick some up to play around with

Was the slope from high to low intentional? If so ignore my comment below!

If not I'd say let's see what it would like like with maybe a high, low, high, low. Just to mix it up and provide you with some additional sight/line breaks.
The Stax are fun to play around with. I have never made a scape that I liked out of more traditional looking rocks.
The Stax aren't very natural looking but once they are covered in coral that isn't going to matter.
The slope was sort of intentional because I will spend a fair amount of time sitting at a desk next to the tank where my view will be through the right side panel so I didn't want to put anything tall on that end.
I think that corals will create the high low high low look as they grow. I do see what you are getting at though. If I wasn't going to be viewing from the side a lot I would probably do that.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this be LPS, SPS, or mixed reef? I like the scape and have only one suggestion. Remove the three smaller pieces from the largest shelf on the left side.

Looking forward to seeing this build!
Thanks for checking it out. It will be a mixed reef. Those three small pieces are not glued yet and can be removed. They are mostly just there to break up the flatness on that side. I may put an encruster there that stays low as @tharbin suggests or I may remove them.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it overall.

Will there be a sand-bed? If so how deep?

I sort-of agree with @SliceGolfer except I would just lose the very top piece on the tallest structure, unless you have a specific coral planned for that spot. It is really too small for anything that is starting to grow out, although some encrusting corals might look good there and turn the top into a proper peak.

I really like the shaded areas. They should be great for blastos and such. I think your fish/inverts will love it.
There will be a thin layer of sand, about an inch. I have 40# of CaribSea dry sand and I'm planning to supplement that with some @LiverockRocks live sand and rubble, amount to be determined once I see how far the 40# goes.
There will probably be an encrusting coral in the spot you pointed out.
I think I've got a pretty good mix of open areas with full light for higher light corals and also shaded areas for Lps and caves for fish to hide. I'm really more of a fish person than a coral person so having a comfortable habitat for the fish is important and I think I've done that without sacrificing area for corals.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I can’t stop tinkering, and because the left side just seemed to “heavy” to me if that makes any sense, I changed it up a little.

It’s gone from this
IMG_4283.jpeg

to this.
IMG_4288.jpeg

There is an extra swim through on the left side instead of just a big rock wall. There is also a new cave type area at the top of the left most structure.
IMG_4289.jpeg

I'm not sure if I'm keeping the big island in the middle front. It will be a good place for a zoa garden but it also might just be too much. Not sure yet.
IMG_4290.jpeg

IMG_4291.jpeg

IMG_4292.jpeg

All in all I think it's more balanced than before. Thoughts??
IMG_4293.jpeg

Last edited:

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I can’t stop tinkering, and because the left side just seemed to “heavy” to me if that makes any sense, I changed it up a little.

It’s gone from this
IMG_4283.jpeg

to this.
IMG_4288.jpeg

There is an extra twin through on the left side instead of just a big rock wall. There I s also a new cave type area ay the top of the left most structure.
IMG_4289.jpeg

I'm not sure if I'm keeping the big island in the middle front. It will be a good place for a zoa garden but it also might just be too much. Not sure yet.
IMG_4290.jpeg

IMG_4291.jpeg

IMG_4292.jpeg

all in all I think it's more balanced than before. Thoughts??
IMG_4293.jpeg
I like it.

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’m in the process of a tank upgrade and I’ll be using an entirely new aquascape. My current tank has a scape made up of Two Little Fishies Stax flat cut rock, CaribSea Rubblezone and some Innovative Marine Snapgrid to raise parts of it up off of the bottom. I like flow under the scape as well as through and around it.
For this build I’m using Stax again along with TLF Little Feet (essentially smaller Stax) and TLF Little Rox (essentially Stax rubble).
The inside dims of the new display area are 46.5” x 21.5” x 17”. There is at least 4” of clearance between the rear wall and the back of the closest structure and at least 3” on each side. No part of the scape is higher than 11” except for one little place.
I realize that this is not the most natural looking scape and it’s not really meant to be. I am trying to maximize places to put corals while keeping a very open scape and still providing places for fish to hide and feel safe. For example 3 of the 4 main islands are raised up about 4” off the bottom. My Tomini Tang currently lives under a similar island and seems very happy, it’s been under there for over 3 years.
I’m just looking for some constructive feedback. Does it look too cluttered? Would you move anything? I’m honestly pretty happy with it as is but I’d like some other perspectives, I’ve been in my own bubble with this for a long time.

Yardstick across the front is 48” which is the outside length of the tank. Yardstick on the left and yellow level on the right have blue painters tape at the 17” height marker.
Apologies for the cluttered workbench.
IMG_4270.jpeg

IMG_4271.jpeg

IMG_4272.jpeg

IMG_4273.jpeg

IMG_4274.jpeg

IMG_4275.jpeg

IMG_4276.jpeg

IMG_4277.jpeg

IMG_4278.jpeg

IMG_4279.jpeg

IMG_4280.jpeg

IMG_4281.jpeg

IMG_4282.jpeg
Love how this looks! don't think it looks unnatural either, once its grown in its got some nice varied shape to it. Making me realize my cave and hiding spot offerings are completely insufficient hahaha, can't wait to see it in the new tank.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love how this looks! don't think it looks unnatural either, once its grown in its got some nice varied shape to it. Making me realize my cave and hiding spot offerings are completely insufficient hahaha, can't wait to see it in the new tank.
Thanks, I've changes it up again since the last pics were posted. I think I'm going to save them for my new build thread but I can't stop tinkering so who knows how it will turn out.
I saw your scape and I liked it. You just have to ask yourself if it's serving the needs of the tank inhabitants or not. I struggle with doing that instead of trying to make something that looks pleasing to my eye. Once it's covered in corals though it doesn't really matter if you liked the way the rocks looked. I'm really trying to keep that in mind this time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back