TM Syn-biotic salinity confusion!?

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, im really confused by tropic-marine's website. Their syn-biotic salt should have a salinity of 1.025-1.027. When I check the website in different languages they advise different salinitys. I also have a bucket that advices 1.025/1.027 in English. But in german its 1.022/1.024.

Im really confused. I have been running my cycle with a salinity of 1.025/1.026 on my aquamedic refractometer. But now my LFS pushes me to immediatly lower this to 1.024 what should I do?? They even said its a typo on their package but I don't believe this AT ALL. They just don't know the difference and why there is a difference

20221021_163002.jpg

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should run the salinity you want to run at…and verify your salinity on your own.

It’s really that simple. If the bucket has a typo or not, makes no difference.

OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should run the salinity you want to run at…and verify your salinity on your own.

It’s really that simple. If the bucket has a typo or not, makes no difference.
But the thing is that its not a typo because they do this on all their salts. Very confusing

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the thing is that its not a typo because they do this on all their salts. Very confusing
Probably because no one pays attention to it, because (again), it doesn’t matter.

Just email lou at tropic marin if you really want to know why…or call…

OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably because no one pays attention to it, because (again), it doesn’t matter.

Just email lou at tropic marin if you really want to know why…
So it just doesn't matter at all? Whats the best salinity for a mixed reef eventually?

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it just doesn't matter at all? Whats the best salinity for a mixed reef eventually?
It doesn’t matter what the bucket says. Your salinity does matter, as long as it’s in an acceptable range.

I know you are new and just cycling, but before you buy any livestock you have to learn to research your questions. Especially ones as basic as this. This has been asked a thousand times in every forum imaginable.

There’s no set answer, but most people run 1.024-1.026 for mixed reef. There are some that run higher than that, and some that run lower. It’s still up for debate what the “perfect” salinity would be, but anything in the range likely won’t show much, if any, difference. It also varies by tank inhabitants.

It also matters if you are running an ATO or monitoring salinity. If you don’t have an ATO (which you definitely should), you should be on the lower range such as 1.023 or 1.024, since the salinity will rise with evaporation and 1.027 can become 1.030 when you are at work.

There’s also testing error. It’s not uncommon for calibrated refractometers, meters, hydrometers, and calibration fluid to still be off by 0.001, so being at the ends of the range may be risky. What you measure as 1.027 may actually be 1.028-1.029. On top of all that, temperature plays a role when testing.

For all these are reasons, many people just pick something like middle of the range 1.025.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back