View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using this for a while now and really like it but my question is,
What is the ratio of solution to alkalinity
I mean how much solution do I have to add to raise the alk by 0.1
Ive tried all the Google searches and can't find a answer
I need to try and work it out as I have a doser that will control and test the alk but it needs to know how much to dose but I have no idea what is needed to raise it up by 0.1

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the product does not cause an immediate alk rise when added, if your controller wants to boost alk, and it is not rising, it may just keep adding and adding it.

I'm not sure there is a great way to use organic calcium products on such a controller.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I prefer to use a known stock solution - in my case I use the offerings from BRS. Economical and easy to use.

OP
OP
Mike1991

Mike1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I prefer to use a known stock solution - in my case I use the offerings from BRS. Economical and easy to use.
Okay mate thanks, it test every 4 hours so I was hoping that would be enough time for the alk to stabalise from the previous dose. By what I understand, if my alk is set at 9 and it reads 8.7 it should add say 3ml of solution or whatever I tell it should be the correct amount to raise it by. 3 then test again in 4 hours and adjust accordingly

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay mate thanks, it test every 4 hours so I was hoping that would be enough time for the alk to stabalise from the previous dose. By what I understand, if my alk is set at 9 and it reads 8.7 it should add say 3ml of solution or whatever I tell it should be the correct amount to raise it by. 3 then test again in 4 hours and adjust accordingly

That works perfectly for a solution that actually contains alkalinity, but the product you mention needs to be metabolized by organisms before there is detectable alkalinity (and even then it is confusing in such an application since TM claims it is mostly used directly by corals and may not ever show up as detectable alkalinity).

OP
OP
Mike1991

Mike1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works perfectly for a solution that actually contains alkalinity, but the product you mention needs to be metabolized by organisms before there is detectable alkalinity (and even then it is confusing in such an application since TM claims it is mostly used directly by corals and may not ever show up as detectable alkalinity).
Lol seems to me like a confusing situation
I have no idea what do dose or set it at, I've got it dosing 10ml a day atm broken down into 2ml doses. And there's still a steady drop of alk of like. 2 everyday, so I've just increased the dose slightly, but it still doesn't help the situation of knowing how much it raises the alk per ml

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol seems to me like a confusing situation
I have no idea what do dose or set it at, I've got it dosing 10ml a day atm broken down into 2ml doses. And there's still a steady drop of alk of like. 2 everyday, so I've just increased the dose slightly, but it still doesn't help the situation of knowing how much it raises the alk per ml

I understand. We had some lengthy discussions with Lou of Tropic Marin about these sorts of complexities. he suggested folks should use calcium to set the dose:

OP
OP
Mike1991

Mike1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. We had some lengthy discussions with Lou of Tropic Marin about these sorts of complexities. he suggested folks should use calcium to set the dose:

Its a shame as I really like the product but it seems like such a ball ache to get dialled in

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back