TNC's Red Sea Reefer 450

tnc112105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there R2R!

I've been a member for a few months now and thought it was about time for me to start a build thread. The tank has been set up for about a year and half to two years, so maybe not a "build" per se, but a glimpse into my "piece of the ocean" nonetheless.

Although this tank has only been setup for a short time, I've had saltwater tanks for about 8 years, but only started getting into reefkeeping about 6 years ago. For me, one of the best things about this hobby is that my spouse and I are equally passionate about it. We look forward to going to swaps together, and contribute equally to the care and maintenance of the tank. But alas this is a build thread, so onto the tank!

The tank is a preowned Reefer 450. We borrowed a friends SUV and drove 3 hours each way to pick it up from a fellow hobbyist the day after Thanksgiving through Black Friday traffic a few years ago. Talk about dedication!

It took a few months to get water in it while we worked on aquascaping with dry Pukani and spent a good part of every paycheck at BRS. We got a Reef Octopus 150 Space Saver and a return pump that came with the tank. We ordered two Gyre 250's for flow (<--OVERKILL). We decided to reuse our Reef Breeders light from our old tank. When we were finally ready to add water, we used Arag-Alive Fiji Pink sand to give things a jump start and waited for the rock to cure and the tank to cycle.
Today our tank is mixed reef with SPS, LPS and one or two softies, however more recently we have started getting some "high-end" SPS. My camera skills leave much to be desired, but here's a FTS to get the ball rolling. Enjoy!

Image-1.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great. Love the Gorgonian in the back.

OP
OP
tnc112105

tnc112105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I found this pic on my phone from when we were building the aquascape. We built a template out of cardboard in the dimensions of the tank to help to better visualize the look.

I imagine aquascaping with your spouse is akin to putting up wallpaper together, but I think it came out great nonetheless.

OP
OP
tnc112105

tnc112105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the tank inhabitants look pretty good.

Look at the growth on my PC Rainbow over the past 4 weeks!

If they’re happy, I’m happy.

540D5E7C-BD96-44B6-86CC-64542174A317.png

A05B7E9C-99BD-42DA-ACD9-256624BC033D.png

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following! just drove 3hrs back and forth to pick up a used 450. also opted for rb photon v2 50" for lights. ordered custom sump from crystal reef aquatics since tank came without sump and want to go triton anyway.
hows the tank going updates? how are you liking the reefbreeders esp with sps?

OP
OP
tnc112105

tnc112105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi becon776! Can’t wait to see your tank! The Reefer 450 has been good to us. You will like this tank!

Our tank is doing well! We installed an Apex that saved our tank from a catastrophic heater failure the day before we left for a two week vacation this past October. Talk about good timing! We also added a chinstrap jawfish and a swissguard basslet that are doing great. Haven’t added too much coral recently. We’re trying to let the pieces we have grow out.

We have the older version Photon. I think the new ones are slimmer, and have more controllable channels. Our model only has controllable settings for blues and whites, but it grows coral just the same. I can’t comment on how it compares to the newer Photon or other brands since this is the only LED we’ve used on this tank, but so far it’s done good by us and I think we’ve had it for about four years.

Be sure to start a build thread for your new tank! I will try to post some updated pics of my tank tonight.

OP
OP
tnc112105

tnc112105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost a lot of corals in the past year or so. Likely due to a combination of zero nutrients and not enough time. SPS are really starting to recover now with detectable NO3 and PO4.

The clam is the same as the one in the pic from 2018. Can you believe how much it's grown!?

IMG_7475.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back