To add a calcium reactor or not?

Currdawg12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is a 45 gallon with a reef breeders photonv2 and one power head but seems like my coral aren’t taking off like I would like. Would adding a calcium reactor or adding a t5 light be better?

OP
OP
Currdawg12

Currdawg12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without any numbers on water or par levels on lighting in your tank we can not make a good guess .

Calcium-350
Phosphate-0
Nitrate-5
Ammonia-0
Salt 1.023

Don’t have par reading on my tank but at 12 inch above the water and 24inch long tank I should be getting around 150 to 200 everywhere

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s like asking would getting a car be better or buying a blender.

Two different things. That do two different jobs.

Get a calcium reactor when you have enough alk and cal consumption to justify the expense. Get the lights when you are ready to get corals because without good lights a cal reactor would be just an expensive paperweight.

I meant no offense by the way. The analogy was meant to be a joke not an insult.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Get a calcium reactor when you have enough alk and cal consumption to justify the expense. Get the lights when you are ready to get corals because without good lights a cal reactor would be just an expensive paperweight.

I meant no offense by the way. The analogy was meant to be a joke not an insult.

Spot on.

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try and get parameters in a more acceptable range first. Acceptable range meaning based off what the bulk of other reefers are running.
If it were my tank I would bump calcium over 400. Get some po4 in the tank by feeding more. I would raise salinity to 1.025/1.026.
I would stick with 2 part if you are not seeing a lot of growth. More than likely it’s your parameters causing growth inhibition without knowing your par/spectrum and the age of your tank.

OP
OP
Currdawg12

Currdawg12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol no offense here! I’m new to everything. But I do have good leds but just curious if adding a t5 would help but I think I’ll will try working on the parameters more

OP
OP
Currdawg12

Currdawg12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try and get parameters in a more acceptable range first. Acceptable range meaning based off what the bulk of other reefers are running.
If it were my tank I would bump calcium over 400. Get some po4 in the tank by feeding more. I would raise salinity to 1.025/1.026.
I would stick with 2 part if you are not seeing a lot of growth. More than likely it’s your parameters causing growth inhibition without knowing your par/spectrum and the age of your tank.

Tanks only 4 months old but I’m just curious if there are tricks or things I can add on now to help me later. Mostly because I have a little extra money at the moment

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks only 4 months old but I’m just curious if there are tricks or things I can add on now to help me later. Mostly because I have a little extra money at the moment
Get your parameters in line, especially alk. You need stability more than anything.

What led are you running?

Acroporaaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your led is fine. I've grown sps with photon v2s. What is your alkalinity. I see you didnt post it and in my opinion that's the most important parameter to be testing

Acroporaaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium matters just as much as alk and cal as well.
I disagree. Some people dont dose mag, some dose once a week, some dose daily. Mag can be ran from 1300 - 1500 and still be good. Let your alk bounce around from 8-10 and see what happens. Ime alk swings should be at most .2dkh per week, but I keep only sps. Other corals may tolerate more of a swing

OP
OP
Currdawg12

Currdawg12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. Some people dont dose mag, some dose once a week, some dose daily. Mag can be ran from 1300 - 1500 and still be good. Let your alk bounce around from 8-10 and see what happens. Ime alk swings should be at most .2dkh per week, but I keep only sps. Other corals may tolerate more of a swing

Honestly I haven’t ever checked alk and don’t really know how

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get calcium reactor out of your head until you are bored silly dosing 2 part or kalk

And you have done so many DKH tests that you can tell what your alk is by looking at your corals

Last edited:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree alk swings are more harmful; I just meant mag should be included in testing just like alk and cal to insure the big 3 are in balance.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back