To Balance pH at night would you rather…

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, great name. I keep bees and reefs too!
I had to look again. Dyslexia.

I thought it was Beans and Reefs (one word).

Since Randy posted that both might not be enough, I wouldn't do either. I am old and lazy and have quit (sort of) trying to chase numbers. I might clean the gravel, do a water change, and dose Brightwells pH Boost since I tried that experiment recently and had good results. We found that (as Randy said it would) it raised pH and alkalinity so I would have to cut back on my calcium reactor effluent and then monitor Alk and CA to make sure those didn't go off the reservation. But I don't chase numbers, again I am too lazy, but I do measure and adjust output of the calcium reactor to keep things in check and as stable as possible.

I could never stay in the lines when I colored either, so I quit coloring at an early age. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, friends.

I am seeing a swing in pH of approximately 0.2 - 0.3 points. In the winter it peaks at 8.1 - 8.15 during the day and bottoms out at 7.9ish at night. During the summer the numbers are a bit higher.

Especially given the research of folks like Salem Clemens (suggesting pH swings may be causing "biotic stress" to corals) I'm trying to decide if it's worth chasing pH a bit. Ultimately, I'd like to find a way to keep the pH up at night, not necessarily raise pH across the board.

I've never dosed Kalkwasser and I've never run a fuge. Was wondering if one or the other would be better at keeping system pH up overnight.
Great article.
I wonder if the pH on natural reefs changes like ours do with light / photoperiod? The stressors listed in the article were not pH, at least directly. Thanks for posting the link and the thread.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair question @Randy Holmes-Farley

He mentions it in this article: https://reefbuilders.com/2024/01/22...obiome-a-molecular-pathway-for-coral-disease/

And in a private conversation Salem said that based on his research and the papers he’s read, he believes pH (level and stability) is as important as salinity and alkalinity

Thanks. I have no confidence that the assertion of stress from a pH swing is real or even properly defined. I see no evidence or even a rationale for the swing to cause ROS.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article.
I wonder if the pH on natural reefs changes like ours do with light / photoperiod? The stressors listed in the article were not pH, at least directly. Thanks for posting the link and the thread.

It does, and there’s no evidence a pH swing is a stressor that I have seen.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does, and there’s no evidence a pH swing is a stressor that I have seen.
I'm so grateful to have access to a variety of highly informed, experienced thought leaders in this hobby. It's wonderful to come across something of note and be able to engage in discourse on the topic. I think this is one of the key ways the hobby advances.

FWIW, I've made zero changes to my system. Right now, everything is going really well. Why rock the boat chasing some ethereal "extra edge"?

It is fun exploring these things, though. Thanks to everyone for indulging my curiosity!

Pickeringr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can only choose one option:
  1. Dose Kalkwasser but only at night
  2. Run a fuge with lights on only at night (opposite DT lights)
Which choice and why?
I use the fuge lights at night and dose my all of 2 part at night as well and pH stays in a nice band. I dose calc in the opposite 12 hours.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back