To Bristle Or Not To Bristle

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be Courteous:

We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our underlying philosophy is that the strength of the member relationships we build here is what sets us apart from the other boards - we are friendlier, more civil, more insightful, more mature and more fun.

* R2R encourages the beneficial exchange of information, ideas, and opinions and we expect members to do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated.

* Do not post unsubstantiated gossip, libelous remarks or directly misleading information.

* Trolling or cyber-bullying are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Harassment, stalking or predatory behavior will result in account suspension.

* The language of this forum is English. If you are not a native English speaker, do your best. We are glad to have you as a member and will be supportive and polite.

* Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and, if necessary, ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account. Complaints about moderator decisions may not be made in posts; instead send a private message to a moderator. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.

* We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.

Be Appropriate:

Last edited by a moderator:

Nelson Vargas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took @Wh00pS32 opinion very indirect. I gave my opinion on this animal and that’s all it is. I’ve Seen bristle worms take over a tank, I have also seen people as already stated purchase and even look for bristle worms to add to there tank. Everything in this hobby is an opinion and has to be taken as is. This thread was started as a question I believe. So then it’s everybody free speech. But I guess a lot of us are snowflakes lol that want to have a clean looking reef tank. I have bristle worms in my display but every chance I get to take 1 or as many as I can out I go ahead and do so. I don’t have the need of worms and nor do I want to see one in my key word “My” tank. The point of the scolly video was to show how fast they can take away food from any coral and how they react to food in general.

Jesus loves you dude.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit off topic, but I just have to write in appreciation to the Admin and Mods for removing unacceptable comments from this thread leading this healthy debate towards sprialing out of control. I and I'm sure others thank Y'all for the great intercepts and work Y'all do. :)

OP
OP
zoso

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit off topic, but I just have to write in appreciation to the Admin and Mods for removing unacceptable comments from this thread leading this healthy debate towards sprialing out of control. I and I'm sure others thank Y'all for the great intercepts and work Y'all do. :)

Most agreed , and thank you to all with the wealth of knowledge provided :)

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched this video, looking on the care level on scollys and to my surprise here are the notorious “Good CUC” bristle worms in full effect. Again we can argue all day long about these but regardless of anybody’s success with them they are an extreme pest and a keep away part of the eco system. They are very strong, grow quick and extend the size of any tank given the time and Food to grow. But don’t listen to me look at this video of the great bristle worm taking food out of this scollys mouth. Yes I know other CUC can do the same but this is just crazy.. I can spook a snail or crabs but these guys with probably look at you and say I wish you would.

Just watched this video, looking on the care level on scollys and to my surprise here are the notorious “Good CUC” bristle worms in full effect. Again we can argue all day long about these but regardless of anybody’s success with them they are an extreme pest and a keep away part of the eco system. They are very strong, grow quick and extend the size of any tank given the time and Food to grow. But don’t listen to me look at this video of the great bristle worm taking food out of this scollys mouth. Yes I know other CUC can do the same but this is just crazy.. I can spook a snail or crabs but these guys with probably look at you and say I wish you would.

i have a question, I watch the video but in the rock behind your coral I can see something moving and coming out that it's grey or black and white, they look like the arms of a serpentine starfish, I suddenly has this strange things showing on my tank that I never see it before and this concerns me greatly, are this bristles too or what exactly are they, they come from the rocks and at times when I put food I can see them moving like coming from The rock

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a question, I watch the video but in the rock behind your coral I can see something moving and coming out that it's grey or black and white, they look like the arms of a serpentine starfish, I suddenly has this strange things showing on my tank that I never see it before and this concerns me greatly, are this bristles too or what exactly are they, they come from the rocks and at times when I put food I can see them moving like coming from The rock
Micro brittle star legs

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro brittle star legs

Got it I double check... I suspect that my serpentine starfish has babies somehow I didn't saw this before I brought her home, she has grow too but those little legs that looks like worms swimming out of the rocks with that color is very distinct because it looks like having white lines up when I try to grab one they disappear quickly and when I was able to grab one it clings tied to the leg of my tweezers, but seems like stop moving or die as quickly I put them out of the water.. Any ways I'm keeping an eye on my tank to make sure and as long as it is not bristle wormsssss I'm OK with it. Thanks for your posting and answer.

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it I double check... I suspect that my serpentine starfish has babies somehow I didn't saw this before I brought her home, she has grow too but those little legs that looks like worms swimming out of the rocks with that color is very distinct because it looks like having white lines up when I try to grab one they disappear quickly and when I was able to grab one it clings tied to the leg of my tweezers, but seems like stop moving or die as quickly I put them out of the water.. Any ways I'm keeping an eye on my tank to make sure and as long as it is not bristle wormsssss I'm OK with it. Thanks for your posting and answer.
They are hitchhikers.
I have a Xmas tree rock that they are in. At feed times they come out and at night there are legs poking out everywhere. They are just trying to catch food in the current.

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind tbe bristle worms . But I have found two huge ones that look like a fire worm ? What does everyone think ? I posted before and got three people saying they think it’s a fire worm and to be careful and take them out ?

BA2BD2B6-82B7-42B7-B9AF-E653E4F3F687.png
Definatly a fire worm bud!!! Just don't touch it.

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang he looks evil
Not evil... They are really stunning underwater. He is Just doing his thing trying to protect himself!! I might think differently if I would have grabbed it. My hand was right next to it on a peice of driftwood with goose barnacles at the beach. There were actually six of them and I wanted to keep them so bad!! I have since setup a tank for when I catch some again.

I am pretty sure it is a bearded fire worm. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Those spines were serious though!! Looked like the ends of tooth picks along with bristles that were almost a half inch long. The worm was about 10inches long and about an inch around.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back