To Build Or Not To Build...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I've mentioned in past posts, I'm planning a new build. And while I have chosen a 75 gallon display (for a total of 100 gallons of total water volume), I'm disappointed that there aren't more variations of the 75 gallon display.

I'd prefer to have a 75 gallon LONG; a shorter tank with a longer length so that my inhabitants have a longer swim (60 inches as opposed to 48). If such a tank exists (75 gallon long), I am unable to find one.

So the question becomes: Should I build a 75 long? It would be made of 5/8 safety glass and assembled / silicone together much in the same way that companies such as Aqueon do.

Thoughts?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the skill set, why not? You end up with what you want, the satisfaction of knowing you built it yourself, and probably a little savings over a custom build. So, if you know how to do it, I would say go for it. Sounds like a cool build.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the skill set, why not? You end up with what you want, the satisfaction of knowing you built it yourself, and probably a little savings over a custom build. So, if you know how to do it, I would say go for it. Sounds like a cool build.

Well, I understand the theory of building it. I'm looking for feedback from people who have actually constructed their own tanks.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I understand the theory of building it. I'm looking for feedback from people who have actually constructed their own tanks.
With a custome tank you can make it however you want, better solid materials, and the height you want. Also it will probably be cheaper that a 400 piece or garbage they sell.

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a custome tank you can make it however you want, better solid materials, and the height you want. Also it will probably be cheaper that a 400 piece or garbage they sell.

Is the aqueon "piece of garbage" or are you talking about the glass cages tank. Glass that thick and that large cannot possibly be cheap. I don't know what the savings would actually be, but $405 (glass cages) is the price for their 75 long.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the aqueon "piece of garbage" or are you talking about the glass cages tank. Glass that thick and that large cannot possibly be cheap. I don't know what the savings would actually be, but $405 (glass cages) is the price for their 75 long.
WOW i totally screwed this one up lol i thought we were tanking about stands.. ignore my post. SO for what it is worth I would take a look at SC Aquariums. They just quoted me $650 shipped to my door a 100 gal tank with 12mm glass... best deal I have found so far for that type of quality work.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium companies build what sells... and what is most efficient on glass waste.

Personally, having a big DIY glass box full of water in my living room would make me nervous. I'm expecting my custom (Planet Aquariums) tank to be delivered next week... 60"x30"x18". 3/4" glass, built by folks that know what they're doing. Could I have done it cheaper? Perhaps. But I'll sleep better knowing I bought a quality tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back