To cube or not to cube...

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all

Although I'm not new to sw tanks and been dry for over six years, I'll be somehow involved in a new little ocean project; I do some DIY here and there, that's how I keep myself in the hobby without being in the hobby.
I've met people and seen very few cube tanks. Not common tanks but after much thinking and suggesting, started the endeavor of a new reef tank.
To my personal like, I find a 36x36 to be the perfect system; I've missed on a couple used Leemar tanks and couple 48x48 but those I think are way too big for the corner where the tank would sit.
What are the pros and cons that you guys find? I like the simple idea of one good quality MH reflector hanging over the center of the tank where the rock-work will take place.
Equipment wise, I have plenty to re-use from my previous life but the tank; stand is no issue since I can make one to suit the needs/space.

Thanks

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25 gal rimless cube that I adore (its my showoff tank) but the one thing I dont like about it is its harder to get the correct flow in it without having at least 2 powerheads. I have 3 small powerheads and the return. Pros are its just gorgeous to look at.
I do find I like the rectangular ones better (ie, like a 40 breeder) because you can see it all at a glance and not have to look through the sides-if that makes sense. I wouldnt like the 55 gal though. Its too skinny front to back for my taste in rock structures (ie a lot of rock, like a wall).

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine. Had a crash around Christmas last year, but it had nothing to do with the shape of the tank ;)

FTS030117.jpg

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow design makes a difference. A typical overflow with the bottom of the tank drilled seems to take up more valuable real-estate percentage-wise compared to wider tanks. A cube with a synergy/ghost overflow gets far more usable space.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow design makes a difference. A typical overflow with the bottom of the tank drilled seems to take up more valuable real-estate percentage-wise compared to wider tanks. A cube with a synergy/ghost overflow gets far more usable space.

I'd agree, but having outside plumbing on a tank you can walk all the way around doesn't work. In a corner, or against a wall? Yup. Some sort of low footprint through the side overflow would work much better.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree, but having outside plumbing on a tank you can walk all the way around doesn't work. In a corner, or against a wall? Yup. Some sort of low footprint through the side overflow would work much better.

Understood, but the ghost/synergy overflow is sharp and with colored plumbing, you could make it look slick. Black Synergy overflow with 3 hard red plumbing lines into one side into the stand. I was reminded of this stand from this thread. It works better if one side is viewed less often than the others
9-jpg.460779

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup but I would rather have that flipped 90 degrees and view the three sides. The overflow is nice but I would focus on viewing the reef... Perhaps it will be spun, it appears that it is on wheels.

OP
OP
M

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input.
I do prefer external overflow but the dimensions 36x36 do allow for forgiveness of an internal of box.
Tank is for a basement corner.
I built my 70G peninsula system years ago but never set it up; now that I've seen few larger than 24 cubes, I think a 36 would make a very sweet system.
I'm keeping my eyes open for a used 36x36, no rush on setting it up; I'll be cycling plenty of rock in a couple months.

OP
OP
M

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week I'm looking at a 30x30x30 rimless; not drilled. Guess I have to get the old hack-saw and chop some of the glass for the overflow.
I've experimented cutting a glass tank already and came out decent. Still, I've suggested to wait for the 36x36 cube to show up for sale.
In the mean time, work on other things and start cycling the rock and do a mock-aquascaping based on the 36 foot-print.

1486161980232.jpg

OP
OP
M

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking for the right cube, another one popped out but is a full system, just need the cube, maybe a sump but the stand will not fit through couple doorways and the last thing I/we need is more equipment. Another 93g cube showed on craigslist, some scratches but as well was the whole system.
This is a project at the time being but is taking "shape"; got a rimless cube but is 30" high... Getting rid of the hard-water marks has been a major PITA, last resort cerium oxide; seems to do the work but I need time and has been a busy season for me.
Built a stand already ~32x32, 36 high; nothing fancy, 2x4's and will use surplus plywood from a small project to skin it. Tank is not drilled so I'm thinking of making a thin profile OF box using a 2" ABS bulkhead and black plexi, also surplus from some other thing I built long ago.
Guess should be time for a tank journal?

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love my cube!!! it is 48/48/24 so about 240 gallons. viewable from 3 sides in my apartment, with an open top. the biggest obstacle i have found with a "larger" cube is water flow to the front of the tank without blasting the back part crazy hard from running pumps so high.

corey

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love my cube!!! it is 48/48/24 so about 240 gallons. viewable from 3 sides in my apartment, with an open top. the biggest obstacle i have found with a "larger" cube is water flow to the front of the tank without blasting the back part crazy hard from running pumps so high.

corey

My old cube didn't have this issue... wasn't big enough. My new system, however, is _not_ a cube, but a peninsula. At 60x30x18, I'm experiencing this issue now, for sure. Pushing enough water from the short end to generate sufficient flow at the far end is going to be a headache, no doubt about it :)

OP
OP
M

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the 36x36 cube will be a reality after all, found a good deal, now I need to re-home the 30x30...

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been quite happy with how my cube turned out, it's a marineland 60g with a corner overflow, I painted the overflow glass and drilled it only having 1 black pipe externally and it matches the black overflow. The design intent is to have it viewable and interesting from all 4 sides which is a benefit to the corner overflow. Additionally with the corner I mounted 2 gyre vertically (maxspect says the magnets are sealed) so there is no lack of flow anywhere and since the powerheads are on the overflow they don't really take up any tank space or give a visual distraction.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/60g-cube-its-hip-to-be-square.292959/

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a Marineland too. DD series.
Cube will be in a corner, I'll have to paint two sides black. I'll use both internal pre-drilled holes as drain and just go over the rim for return.
Still a long time to go and things to do before water goes in...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back