To cure or not to cure?

brandondavidson

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 28, 2023
Messages
62
Reaction score
54
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m replacing half of the rockscape in my reef tank. The new scape will be dry Marco rock while the other half of the scape will remain in the tank and has been in there for nearly a year (about 1/4 of the rock in the tank consists of Australian live rock and gulf live rock). For this new dry scape would you recommend curing it beforehand to avoid some of the uglies or will the remaining rock be enough to stave off any diatoms/hair algae/cyano severe enough to irritate corals? Those with experience partially replacing their scape with dry rock please let me know! Thanks
 
Personally I always cure rocks before use. I switched out a new aquascape exactly 2 months ago and the rocks are still white-ish, no sign of algae. I find 3-4 months of curing in ambient light to be the sweet spot to avoid algae growth.
 
Personally I always cure rocks before use. I switched out a new aquascape exactly 2 months ago and the rocks are still white-ish, no sign of algae. I find 3-4 months of curing in ambient light to be the sweet spot to avoid algae growth.
Thanks!
 
By the way, in whatever I use to cure the rocks (last time I used a plastic storage tote), first I cycle the new rocks with bacteria, then I add a damsel. A few months with real fish bacteria is better than bottled bacteria.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new