To dip or not to dip ? -Transfering corals between my 2 tanks

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone !

I have my new frag tank ready to go, I already have an acan in there.
Now the reason I started the new tank, is that the other (old system) one kept killing corals, causes are still unknown.
So from that old system I would put them into the frag tank (which seperated)

I am not sure to dip the corals any recommendations ?
It is important that I do not really want to dip them, since they are already demaged, and I am afraid that the dip could be lethal to them.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends.
If it is a historical tank - you can move them as is, let them settle and do in tank treatments.

I would also stir away from having rocks inside the frag tank itself, in case there are any pest problems found later on. Keep them in your sump if you have any.

Edit: another point which you probably wouldn’t like, is to make frags of these corals, dip each frag and than move it to the frag tank.

Regardless of what you decide to do - inspect each coral with a magnifying glass, look for pests and pest eggs and remove or scrub them if found.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends.
If it is a historical tank - you can move them as is, let them settle and do in tank treatments.

I would also stir away from having rocks inside the frag tank itself, in case there are any pest problems found later on. Keep them in your sump if you have any.

Edit: another point which you probably wouldn’t like, is to make frags of these corals, dip each frag and than move it to the frag tank.

Regardless of what you decide to do - inspect each coral with a magnifying glass, look for pests and pest eggs and remove or scrub them if found.
Thank you for your answer. I think I will just go with the magnifying glass. The old tank does not have a history regarding pests.

Upvote 0

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol idk why my autocorrect decided to put “historical” in there, but it should’ve said “hospital tank”.

I wouldn’t dismiss the possibility of pests, sometimes it could be a little white or black spec that we usually pass off as debris, or it could be something that only shows itself at night. You never know.

Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to start an entirely new system because some unknown issue or pathogen was killing everything I put in my original system, there is no way I would risk bringing said unknown pathogen into my new system.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to start an entirely new system because some unknown issue or pathogen was killing everything I put in my original system, there is no way I would risk bringing said unknown pathogen into my new system.
Yeah that's what I'm experiencing, I clean every little thing before putting into the tank.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back