to DIP or not to Dip

  • Thread starter Thread starter abirozy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

abirozy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2014
Messages
244
Reaction score
2
Location
fullerton,ca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

relatively new to hobby and after this weekend, will have a LOT of frags coming (3 live sales and a PIF). A lot of these will be Zoa / Paly frags, but will also be getting some across, a chalice, and a few Favia's....

In reading through forums, it seems like some people "DIP" their coral before introducing them to the tank...

1) What is this, and what is it for?
2) Is it hard for a beginner who only has one tank?
3) What is the most popular Dip? I have heard a lot of people talking about using bayer... is this just aspirin?

Thanks

Any feedback is appreciated.
 
Works great
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1404669421.422228.jpg
what it's used for is stops disease from being introduced in the aquarium from the coral. Removes parasites and hitchhikers. Anything living on the coral that you don't want. "Also effective in treating infected colonies and quarantining aquarium corals"
 
Don't use in tank. Read instructions before using. Only for live rock and corals. Will kill your fish and invertebrates.

Joeganja

Just to make sure, if I use the dip like instructed, I don't have to worry about any residue on the coral from the dip that will kill my fish when I introduce the coral into the tank, right?

Also, have you heard of Revive, and what do you think?
 
you dip to clear your corals of unwanted pest before puting into your display tank. you quarantine because a dip will not kill eggs which can hatch in the display tank.
it depends how much you are willing to risk by doing both either or neither.
 
you dip to clear your corals of unwanted pest before puting into your display tank. you quarantine because a dip will not kill eggs which can hatch in the display tank.
it depends how much you are willing to risk by doing both either or neither.

Dipping and not dipping typically yield the same results.
 
I try to get fresh cuts of sps and I dip using Bayer Advancted Complete Insect Killer from Home Depot, Menards, etc. I use 4 milliliters per cup of tank water for 15 minutes.
 
Thanks everyone... If it helps, I don't think I can QT. I am new to the hobby and only have a 28 gallon JBJ so I don't think I have a way to QT, but again, I am new to this, so maybe I do.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new