To Drill or Not Drill......?

MattRudd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in the process or resealing a Aqueon 150 gallon reef ready aquarium with dual Dorso’s. My back panel is tempered so I can’t convert it to back drilled. Are dual dorso drains safe enough or should I drill the bottom of the tank to add an additional drain inside of each of the overflow boxes?

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would actually do a Herbie style overflow system. I've tried Durso and it was always gurgling for me. One of your drains will be a fully open emergency drain, and the second will be a full siphon tuned by a gate valve. I attached a picture below.
1610316595442.png

OP
OP
M

MattRudd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would actually do a Herbie style overflow system. I've tried Durso and it was always gurgling for me. One of your drains will be a fully open emergency drain, and the second will be a full siphon tuned by a gate valve. I attached a picture below.
1610316595442.png
So your saying a Herbie split between the 2 overflows? Or dill 1 additional hole inside each overflow cover?
I know the tank back is tempered so I can’t drill it but can the bottom be tempered if there are holes drilled in it?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your saying a Herbie split between the 2 overflows? Or dill 1 additional hole inside each overflow cover?
I know the tank back is tempered so I can’t drill it but can the bottom be tempered if there are holes drilled in it?

Tons of people on here have converted there dual reef ready overflows to a herbie style. Typically you just use one of the 1" for your main siphon and the other in the other overflow as your secondary/ emergency line. Then use both the 3/4" lines as returns :)

Last edited:

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons of people on here have convered there dual reef ready overflows to a herbie style. Typically you just use one of the 1" for your main siphon and the other in the other overflow as your secondary/ emergency line. Then use both the 3/4" lines as returns :)
^Yeah, this is the way to do it if you have 2 separate overflow boxes

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons of people on here have converted there dual reef ready overflows to a herbie style. Typically you just use one of the 1" for your main siphon and the other in the other overflow as your secondary/ emergency line. Then use both the 3/4" lines as returns :)
I might be in the same situation soon. Will that single 1” main siphon move enough water for a sufficient turn over rate in a 210

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all aqueon megaflows tempered glass on back?
Mine is a 90g single tower megaflow.
I was planning on drilling mine.. like today.
Just bought the fijicube external overflow..
But..
I just thought I should check on this.. I thought I had heard lots of people talk about it.. but cant find anything on it.
Thanks

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the bottom is already drilled, it should not be tempered glass. Before drilling another hole, I'd make sure you have room for another bulkhead (often times there is just not enough room to fit).

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to remove the tower & seal the bottom glass and drill the back for external overflow box.

Back