To drill or not to drill? That is the question.

Mikey Mane The Flare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently bought a 2011 150 gallon. Got a great deal on it! Just needs new silicone. However it is not drilled:/. Iv always wanted to have a refugeum but never wanted to use a HOB over flow box. That’s why I started looking for a drilled tank. Due to my budget finding a drilled tank was hard. But when I found a 150g for 80$ with no scratches I jumped on it! Should I drill it? I plan to use eshopps overflow if I go this route. Only thing that worries me is there is no sticker say tempered glass, but one that says made in 2011 Did they use it back in 2011? Is the whole tank tempered? Thanks

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple of ways to check if it's tempered using polarized lenses. A quick Google will get you links to how to vids:) And they definitely did used tempered glass in 2011

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has a HOB overflow I say drill it. Not because there is anything wrong with a HOB and I haven't had any issues at all with it in over two years of use. The tank is just more aesthetically pleasing without all the hardware hanging of the back.

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling with a bean animal is the best way to go :) you will never be disappointed. You'll wish you did if you don't.

OP
OP
Mikey Mane The Flare

Mikey Mane The Flare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has a HOB overflow I say drill it. Not because there is anything wrong with a HOB and I haven't had any issues at all with it in over two years of use. The tank is just more aesthetically pleasing without all the hardware hanging of the back.
Iv been 100% HOB due to the lave of a drilled tank:/ doesn’t bother me to much. I’m just scared of a over flow

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hob and always worried about the overflow. Getting the siphon started afrer cleaning the U-tube was annoying. When i upgraded, i drilled it and feel waaaaaaay better about it. No worry, no siphoning to remove the air...

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hated my HOB overflow, but was afraid to drill myself. The Bean Animal overflow requires only 3 holes: Best $75 I have ever spent!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hob and always worried about the overflow. Getting the siphon started afrer cleaning the U-tube was annoying. When i upgraded, i drilled it and feel waaaaaaay better about it. No worry, no siphoning to remove the air...
I worried about flooding too so I made some failsafes. I have a sensor to shut the pump in case if the drain clogs and backs up the overflow. In case of ever losing the siphon the return section doesn't have that much water in it to flood the tank and I have a sensor to shut the ATO and return pump off and I get an alert. I never clean the tube I just buy a new one and replace the old. The only problem I had with starting the siphon was trying to remove the air hose that was in the U-tube to start it, but I made a tool that helps remove it easier so it hasn't been a problem since.
What gets me is that it was difficult to get the top secure with the overflow U-tube and return hanging off the back and I just love the clean look of a drilled tank. I would drain this one and drill but it's doing so well that I'd hate to touch it.

BobNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a HOB om a 90g for many years. I absolutely hated it. When I upgraded to my 125g I was dead set on buying a reef ready tank, which I did. I absolutely hate that too (for different reasons). If I could do it over again I would buy a undrilled tank and drill it for a bean like others have recommended. To me that is the ideal setup. As others have also said.... as long as it's not tempered.
Congrats on the new tank!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back